We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did Great Exuma, now where next ?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Did Great Exuma, now where next ?

We chose exuma over the more touristy islands because it was quiet & beautiful..which it was!! We just loved it :) We are thinking about going back again, but also want to keep in mind other Out Islands....is there any other that would be similar? Quiet beaches, hardly any traffic are important, if there is golf that would be a bonus :) (exuma had one course). Thanks for any input.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Did Great Exuma, now where next ?

I love the Exumas. I also love Hope Town.

No golf course but there are lots of things there to make up for it e.g. exploring in your own runabout (by sea) and with your golf cart (LOL) or bike (ashore)... I like to stay in town because the settlement is so quaint and I like watching the boats come and go, but it can be busy (when I say busy I mean out island style not NYC style) so if you're worried about that, rent a house out of town.

Happy Planning!

Edited: 14 March 2014, 19:37
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did Great Exuma, now where next ?

thanks sail, will definitely look up Hope Town! :)

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did Great Exuma, now where next ?

Check into Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos- not quite as many tourists as Hopetown but very laid back, friendly, and very pretty- nice small village with all you need in the way of groceries, liquor, places to eat, etc. and you can rent a boat and explore- mode of transportation is by golf cart- great place!! check vrbo for many rental options or the ladies at Ocean Blue rentals are very helpful and nice. No golf but there is at Treasure Cay which is where you take the ferry to GTC (fly into TCB -Treasure Cay- airport on Great Abaco)- you could always go there for the day via ferry and play golf if you really wanted to but I bet once you get to GTC you will want to stay! Check www.abacoforum.com or www.abacoindex.com for info, photos, and helpful forum advice. We rented Bennett House when we were there last- loved it.

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did Great Exuma, now where next ?

I agree with DnAMobile that Green Turtle seems like a really good fit for someone looking for quiet beaches, hardly any traffic and access to golf. Elbow Cay is a much busier place than Green Turtle Cay. There's only one main road and there can be a lot of traffic if it's a busy week. Spring break season is currently underway and this past week there weren't many quiet places on Elbow Cay. Being out of town south of Hopetown doesn't help because much of the traffic is heading to Tahiti Beach, or back and forth to construction sites on the south end of Elbow. The quietest spot would be the north end, but access to restaurants from there is difficult since rental golf carts aren't allowed to go through Hopetown.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did Great Exuma, now where next ?

lovemyspouse- I sent you a PM.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did Great Exuma, now where next ?

fantastic guys.. we do appreciate all the great ideas! will be checking it all out/links etc, thanks so much!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
351 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did Great Exuma, now where next ?

I have exactly the same question. I spent this past Feb on Great Exuma and loved it. Right mix of low key, non-touristy feel with availability of car and boat rental, grocery store and few eateries.

Though I completely loved and it and would be happy to return, I like the adventure of discovering a new place.

My question is about temperatures in the winter. My best travel time is always Jan and Feb. I'm wondering about air and water temps further north like Eleuthera, Abacos, or Andros. Would it be warm enough to swim in the winter?? Anyone have that experience? Temperatures on Great Exuma were perfect this Feb.

I'm scouring Homeaway and the like - beachfront and that famous blue Bahama water are high on my list of must haves.

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did Great Exuma, now where next ?

January and February will be hit and miss for the Abacos. This year it was exceptionally nice, but it's usually on the cool side, with 2 or 3 cold fronts a week making their way through. If those are the months that you plan to travel, further south will be better.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
351 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did Great Exuma, now where next ?

Thank you. Very helpful feedback. I will look south.

10. Re: Did Great Exuma, now where next ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 04:49