We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which out island to choose with 3 teens/tweens

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
92 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
which out island to choose with 3 teens/tweens

We're a family of 5 (maybe 6 if Grandpa comes too), with 3 teen/tween boys. We live in the Pacific Northwest and have vacationed in Maui/Big Island/Kauai. Looking for something different this year and really intrigued by the Out Islands. I've also been looking at St. John and Virgin Gorda too, but can't find something on the beach for under $650/night. I'd like to stay 8-11 days, so we're hoping to find something from $300-$400/night. We're not huge resort people, and don't want an all inclusive. Just a nice house/condo on the beach.

We're interested in fishing, swimming, paddle boarding, hiking around, etc. Kids are interested in the swimming pigs, and the clear calm water. A little concerned about our oldest getting bored, so if there's an island that has some additional sight seeing that would be great.

Please let me know if there's a particular island that might be best for us. Thanks!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which out island to choose with 3 teens/tweens

Sounds like Staniel Cay might be what you are looking for. You can take the boat to many snorkeling spots including the grotto and the swimming pigs and swim with the sharks at Compass Cay or do a picnic on a sand bar. The Out Islands are pretty flat so there's not much hiking but lots of deserted beaches.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which out island to choose with 3 teens/tweens

Hope Town (Elbow Cay, Abaco) is great!

There's a pedestrian only part of town, that is fun with rental bikes. You can also rent a runabout for daily jaunts to explore quaint settlements, deserted beaches, and go snorkeling.

Happy Planning!

Virginia
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: which out island to choose with 3 teens/tweens

We went with 5 teens(3 boys, 2girls) for a week at Blue Palms on Eleuthera. They loved it. Did a day out with Eleuthera Tours, a day fishing with Paul Petty, a day at Lighthouse Beach, a day on Harbour Island, a bonfire on the beach, the Friday night Fish Fry. It was a great week, we had a jeep wrangler and an Explorer so we had plenty of room. We snorkeled and fished while exploring. But the very best outing was dinner at Rosie's after the day at Lighthouse beach. When the going gets tough my 16 year old niece still says she wants to go back to Rosie's. we've done the all inclusive several times and I don't think the kids missed the "free" food at all!

4. Re: which out island to choose with 3 teens/tweens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:15