We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andros Island Ferry to/from Nassau

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Andros Island Ferry to/from Nassau

I see there are fast ferries which look rather expensive. A friend who was stationed on Andros said there's a water barge between Nassau & Andros which sounds more attractive to me. Does anyone know how long this ferry takes, & where can I find a schedule? Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Andros Island Ferry to/from Nassau

You're probably referring to the mail boats, which I understand if they were any slower they'd be going backwards.

Try this website

http://www.mailboatbahamas.com/

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Andros Island Ferry to/from Nassau

On second look, that website might not be the one. Other websites suggest you call the dockmaster at Potters Cay (Nassau) at 242-393-1064 and they can advise on schedules, etc.

Edited: 19 October 2010, 20:10
here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,481 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Andros Island Ferry to/from Nassau

The mailboat, Lady Rosalyn, travels to Andros ( I think Morgans Bluff) 2x a week. The trip takes about 6-7 hours and travel is overnite.

There are no "services" where they dock. You would have to make arrangements for a pick up.

The dockmaster at Potters Cay could give you the details

The water tanker might be the other one that you are thinking of. Don't thing they allow passage anymore.

sailnet.com/forums/cruising-articles/20540-w…

Edited: 19 October 2010, 20:48
here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,481 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Andros Island Ferry to/from Nassau

This might help.. it's probably old.. but it has some #'s to call

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/BahamasWeb/Port+Department1/sitehome.nsf/Subjects/Mail+Boat+Schedule

Great Exuma
Level Contributor
276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Andros Island Ferry to/from Nassau

As scubagirrl has already said the mailboat to North Andros is the Lady Rosalind, it leaves Nassau early Wednesday afternoon and takes about 5 hours to get here, so usually arrives around 7 or 8 pm. It unloads freight on Thursday morning and departs for Nassau from Morgan's Bluff early afternoon on Thursday.

The fast ferry comes in to Morgan's Bluff only on Saturdays (weather permitting) and takes about 2 and a half hours, cost is around $45 each way. but it is a comfortable and quite enjoyable trip especially if the sun is shining.

6. Re: Andros Island Ferry to/from Nassau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 06:53
Get answers to your questions about Andros
Recent Conversations