We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Islands - peace and quite

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Which Islands - peace and quite

I am thinking of going to the Bahamas next winter, but have no idea where to start !

I am looking for peace and quite, and natural beauty, a bit of diving, maybe a shark dive, but won't be the centre of the holiday, good snorkelling and a beautiful view more important. Would prefer a small hotel / self-catering place, no need for luxury or resort amenities etc. don't want to spend more than 200 dollars a night - less if possible. Don't mind if the place needs a lick of paint as long if its in an amazing location. We don't mind hiring a car to get around either.

Have thought about Cat and Eleuthera and maybe even Andros, but can't decide between these and not sure if we should be considering any hidden gems elsewhere.

Also, is it easy to travel between islands, as we'd like to consider 10 nights across two islands.

Basically very confused and so any recommendations of islands, or accomodation would be most welcome.

Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Islands - peace and quite

I have been to Cat, Eleuthera, and Andros and Andros is my favorite. It is quiet, has beautiful beaches, great diving and snorkeling, and is convenient since it is only a 12 minute flight from Nassau. You can do Small Hope Bay Lodge for about $200 per night and it is right on the beach with a fantastic view from all of the cottages. Unfortunately, you have to go through Nassau to get to any of the out islands unless you charter a plane. Oh, I take that back, you can go to Fresh Creek, Andros and then to Staniel Cay, Exuma since the Staniel Cay plane clears customs in Fresh Creek (I did that once and it was fun). Check out www.smallhope.com.

Good Luck and have a great trip (Small Hope's shark dive is great fun)!

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Islands - peace and quite

Thanks for the tip. I was sort of veering towards Andros. Small Hope Bay looks like 200 dollars a night per person, which is a bit above my budget. Thanks for the advice though!

Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Islands - peace and quite

hi South Andros sounds perfect for what you want to do the Island is very laid back and quiet. South Andros beach club is a good place to stay the owner Jesse organizes diving trips.

All of the local people are extremely friendly and i a am sure that you will enjoy this Island.

Andros
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Islands - peace and quite

I have lived in South Andros for 4 years as the owner of the Andros Beach Club. It sounds like South Andros is the perfect place for you self-catered holiday. Check out our website and gve me a call to discuss your Bahamas vacation.

Jesse

5. Re: Which Islands - peace and quite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 11:24
Get answers to your questions about Andros
Recent Conversations