We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advice...

Charlotte
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Looking for advice...

The wife & I are looking to go to the Bahamas for a week's vacation @ the end of Oct. We love the Caribbean, but have not been to the Bahamas since I was about 12 yrs. old. We are not into the "all-inclusive" resorts - we enjoy exploring a bit and spending time in good water snorkeling/swimming in a laid back smaller hotel or condo located close to restaurants or food markets. Last year considered Cat Island, but we were pinched for time & could not spend too much time taking 3 flights to get there and 3 flights back. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,866 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for advice...

since Charlotte is a US Air hub, I would try booking a flight to Marsh Harbour. From there you can take a 1/2 hr ferry over to Hopetown or Guana Cay. Both are great spots. Quiet in October with terrific beaches. NO AIs in sight. Most hotels have 10 rooms or less! If you can't get US Air to Marsh harbour you can connect in Ft Lauderdale or Miami. Continental Connection or Yellow Air Taxi both go over and I believe American Eagle as well. www.destinationabaco.net

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
339 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for advice...

If you are still interested in Cat Island, you can get there in two flights. Get to FLL, and then take Gulfstream (which codeshares with Delta, Continental, United and maybe even USAirways) to New Bight (airport code: TBI). You can be on the beach by 2 p.m.

I am an Out Islands devotee, and would be hard-pressed to tell you which one to pick, since I've enjoyed all which I've visited -- namely Cat (3x), the Abacos (5x) and Eleuthera (1x). As patobx suggests, however, you might find Hopetown to be ideal, since you can stay at a cozy small hotel, or in a villa on the beach, and be walking distance to the charming settlement of Hopetown and its shops and restaurants. Abaco is a bit livelier than Cat, so it depends on how much activity you want.

I will also note that in October, a LOT of places will be closed for hurricane season (my favorite place on Cat, Fernandez Bay Village, is closed). Be sure to confirm what's open before you head down.

Phillipsburg, New...
Level Contributor
389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for advice...

Fernandez Bay Village or Sammy Ts

4. Re: Looking for advice...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 15:18