We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cat Island in February

Pennsylvania
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cat Island in February

Hoping to get to Cat Island in February. How is the weather at that time? Is the water warm enough to go in? Also, trying to decide whether we're going to HoppInn or Sammy T's - we're looking for peace and quiet. Which is better? Which has better food?

Westfield...
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cat Island in February

We haven't been to Hoppinn, but Sammy T's is outstanding!

West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cat Island in February

I agree with the previous poster; haven't been to Island Hopinn, we've only seen it from the Fernandez Bay Resort beach. We've stayed with Sammy for the previous 4 trips and will be returning again in November. Sammy's is as quiet and relaxing as you can get in the Bahamas. It's small, well furnished, has friendly staff and great food. The beach is beautiful and quiet. If you're looking for a place to relax and escape for a bit with priceless scenery, Sammy's is the place for sure! The water can be cooler (by my Floridian standards) in February and you can expect cooler weather than the rest of the year. There is always the potential for a cold front to come through that time of year and it can reach as far as Cat Island. If that happens, temps would be highs in the upper 60's, lows in the lower 60's. Rain is usually rare that time of year excpet for maybe a short burst if a front comes through. Compared to your weather in PA, whatever the weather is like on Cat Island in Feb. MUST be a dream. I hope you have a great trip!

Pennsylvania
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cat Island in February

Thanks for your posts. We are going to stay at Sammy's! Made our reservation today. Any hints on finding secluded beaches?

West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cat Island in February

Kaffybut, you'll probably be on a very secluded beach at Sammy's; every time we've been there, it has been us and the dogs and perhaps another couple who might be staying at the resort. If you walk on Sammy's beach and go to the left over the rocks, there is an old resort that has been closed for a while with another very nice beach that is hardly frequented. We've rented a car for a day each time we've been there and trekked to the Atlantic side of the island which is extremely secluded but (sadly) a bit littered with debris from cuise ships. Sammy can give you the best road to take across; it can be a bit bumpy and unpaved but adventurous! If you get to that side and the seas aren't rough, the coral heads and sea life are terrific so bring your snorkel gear. In my opinion, Sammy has the best beach on the island if you like pure white sand, a sandy bottom and gentle rolling waves. I can visualize myself there right now with an ice cold Kalik in hand... Please tell Sammy you heard good things about his resort online from Chris and Kristin- he'll know who you're talking about. We'll be back Nov. 8-13; not soon enough or for long enough! This will be a short trip to tide us over to our annual weeklong trip in May. How long are you going for? A few pieces of advise- bring lots of books if you like to read, bring bug spray with DEET for sunsets on the beach, ask Sammy to have Danny pick you up at the airport, stop at the take-away (market) in New Bight for water to have in your cottage, snacks, beer and hard liquor (the resort drink prices add up after awhile!), bring lots of sunscreen if you tend to burn, bring beach towels and drink coozies to keep the Kalik's frosty! Let me know if you need any more information. Wishing you lots of sunshine and good weather in February!

Pennsylvania
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cat Island in February

Thanks! We'll be going Feb 9-16, not long enough, but it will surely get rid of the February Blues I often get here in Pennsylvania. Thanks for pointing out the snorkeling spot. We'll definitely be renting a car for a day or two, we like our road trip adventures. I think I'm going to have to take a couple tub fulls of DEET - mosquitoes love me. You don't have too long to wait for your trip - hoping for blue skies and sunshine for you!

West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cat Island in February

I know the blues you speak of! I used to live in upstate NY and we would see nothing but snow for months. I, too, have sweet blood and attract the mosquitos. My husband can be sitting next to me with no bug spray, get no bites and I'll be there with gallons of DEET spray and still get eaten alive! Beware at sunset, outdoor breakfasts and late afternoons lying on the beach. That's when they tend to get me. Are you and sb48 related?

Pennsylvania
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cat Island in February

Yep - SB48 is my husband, and he doesn't get bit by the bugs either. Go figure! February is always a downer for me - I hate the winter! Plus my birthday is in February. Turning 50 this year - man, I can't believe it. How's the food at Sammy's?

West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cat Island in February

Food is very good but remember, most everything except fresh fish comes over by boat so if the boat is late or held up, sometimes choices can be limited. We usually eat breakfast, lunch and dinner there. Usually standard breakfast of eggs or pancakes (awesome), cracked conch is the best I've had, grouper fingers are always nice and tender, conch fritters ath the bar before dinner is always a nice way to start things off. Dinner choices can vary depending on what's available. You usually place your order with Carnetta (the chef) by 2PM; sometimes she'll let you know if she's cooking something special. Choices typically range from stuffed lobster (to die for) broiled lobster, parmesan grouper, snapper, chicken, etc. Dinner comes with a side of a starch (peas and rice or baked potato) and steamed vegetables (usually frozen). A nice side salad to start with is good and extra. Sometimes there'll be dessert although I think I've read that Sammy has acquired a pastry chef which would be great! If you rent a car, try the Bluebird restaurant for lunch in New Bight. We ate at Fernandez Bay one night and they serve buffet style and it was decent but in my opinion, not as good as Sammy's. Sammy T's on Cat Island is a geat place to spend you're birthday! You will definitely get the peace and quiet you are looking for! Happy early birthday!

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cat Island in February

Just an fyi - in case you didn't know this about CI, this is where Academy Award winning actor Sidney Poitier hails from. At least 2 of his daughters from his first marriage live here.

We enjoyed a lovely holiday on Great Guana Cay another of the Out Islands in the Abacos. The water was incredible and the locals were lovely. I'm sure you have the makings of a great holiday. Enjoy!

West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cat Island in February

We also enjoy time on Guana and stay at the Dolphin Beach Resort when we go. Where do you stay? Sidney Poitier does hail from Cat Island but we've heard that he is not very philanthropic about his birthplace. He apparently doesn't give back to the Island which is a shame since he has the ability to make quite a difference. We've been traveling to Cat Island for 3 1/2 years and we've seen some growth on the island but a lot more could be accomplished with financing from someone who could make it happen. They're desparately in need of new schools and a hospital which is something you would think a big time actor would want to support.