We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries to Cat Island

Colorado
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries to Cat Island

Hi,

I'm likely heading to Cat Island in February with a group for a special birthday celebration. I don't like the idea (or price) of the small planes.

Anyone know anything about ferry service from Nassau (or elsewhere)??

I'll be coming from Denver, and many flight options require 4 planes and over 24 hours of traveling. Kind of turns me off to the whole idea of Cat Island.

Any alternative ideas out there?!

Thanks TripAdvisor community.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries to Cat Island

Sorry, there are no ferries available.

The only boats that go out that way are the mailboats. Travel is VERY rustic, no place to sit or sleep, and takes about 12- 14 hours.. the boat goes only 1x per week... and returns within hours of their arrival. I wouldn't recommend it as a travel option.

Ontario
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries to Cat Island

You can try Lynx Air or Continental for direct flights from Fort Lauderdale to The Bight ( code is TBI). Also Cat Island Air runs 2 flights a day out of Nassau, if you are staying in the north end of island i.e. Sammy T's or Pigeon Cay,go to Arthur's Town, further south i.e. Fernandez Bay and south from there go to The Bight. Bahamasair also flies there but only into The Bight..

Cat Island Air currently charges $80.00 each way plus you need to pay a $15.00 Nassau airport improvement fee on departure only.

Hope this helps, Cat Island is truly a remote paradise, if it was easier to get to, much of it's charm might be lost.

Colorado
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries to Cat Island

Thanks for your responses! My friend who is organizing the trip has just chartered a flight. There are 18 of us total, so it ended up being under $200 each. Good solution. Tiny plane! Anyway, I'm sure it'll be worth it! Can't wait to go!

4. Re: Ferries to Cat Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 18:16