We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exuma vs Cat Island vs Long Island

united states
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Exuma vs Cat Island vs Long Island

*also posted on Exuma forum

Someone please compare/contrast these 3 islands, or any 2 that you are familiar with. Have studied information so much, now I am confused. Please talk about island safety, beach quality, ocean clarity, shops/restaurants, the ability to hire a good local captain to take us out on the ocean to explore, or fish. Any other information very appreciated.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exuma vs Cat Island vs Long Island

All of the islands you mention are safe, so from that standpoint, they are equal. Beach quality is also very similar, withthe only difference being that while Cat Island and Long Island have more ocean facing beaches (as well as lee side beaches), Exuma has no true ocean facing beaches, but lots of calm side ones. Ocean clarity is the same throughout also, due to the Bahamas having no rivers or water run-offs to silt the water.

All the islands have competent guides for various activities. Long Island is perhaps best for bonefishing, deep water fishing and trolling, as well as a full-service dive operation. Cat Island is more rustic with more DIY activities, but with a fair amount to do. Exuma has a bit more shopping options and a large resort and maybe a few more "upscale" restaurants than the other islands. All the islands are quite undeveloped and quiet havens, so if you are looking for a big shopping and dining experience, then none of these islands will be what you are looking for. Keep in mind that all 3 of these islands are within 20 or 30 miles of each other, so we are not talking vast distances or differences.

My own personal preference is Long island, as I have had a home there for many years and know the island well. I have also been to both Cat and Exuma, but am quite biased towards Long Island. As long as you understand that these are the out islands, and they tend to offer a more rustic experience than say Nassau or Paradise Island, you will do fine at any of the islands.

united states
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exuma vs Cat Island vs Long Island

Thanks so much for the information!

Great Exuma
Level Contributor
232 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exuma vs Cat Island vs Long Island

out of the three..Cat Island is the most rustic..least populated..long island is very long 80miles from top to bottom/north to south has blue holes/pretty beachs a few nice resorts,fishing..Exuma is the most populated,most developed,more shopping,dinning options, has some great beaches,a few historical sites and is a boater's dream with the abundance of isolated cays and has good bonefishing on the flats on the south side.

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exuma vs Cat Island vs Long Island

How would you compare Long Island and Cat Island to Eleuthera-in terms of beaches , shore snorkeling ( snorkeling rt off the beach not more than 5-7'deep) & options for 4+ bedrms beachfront home rentals?

What about airfare/travel fr Fort Lauderdale(coming from NYC)?

Are the "noseeums" as hungry on Cat& Long Islands?

Thanks.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exuma vs Cat Island vs Long Island

Well, RH, we are on our way to our first trip to Cat Island at the end of the month and will write a trip report here. We have been to Exuma and Eleuthera several times each so maybe my perspective will help.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exuma vs Cat Island vs Long Island

GLDawson- have a great trip and I will be very interested in your report!! We have been to Eleuthera, Long Island and the Exumas but not yet to Cat Island so I am very curious! We are headed to Great Exuma (after a long, long absence) in May. If I may ask, are you staying at one of the resorts on Cat Island or renting a house?

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exuma vs Cat Island vs Long Island

Hello DnAMobile! We have always stayed in rentals, but not this time. We did not plan ahead far enough this time, and we could not find a suitable cottage. So for the first time ever, we will be at a resort - of sorts. We are staying at the Pigeon Cay Beach Club.

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exuma vs Cat Island vs Long Island

Hi GLDawson,

Have a great time and pls share your story with us when you return from Cat Island. Since you've been to Eleuthera and Exuma many times before. we'd love to get your comparison.

ENJOY!

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exuma vs Cat Island vs Long Island

HI dnAMobile,

I would love to get your comments on Eleuthera vs. Long vs. Exuma. I 've only been to Eleuthera 2 x. From what i've read it seems that Long Island might be more appropriate for our family since we all love beaches and like to snorkel from the shore. Long Island seem to have more options and Dean's Blue Hole sounds fantastic. Not sure but Exuma seem to be better for boating and bonefishing and has less beaches/snorkeling.

Please give us your comparison on these.

Thanks!

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exuma vs Cat Island vs Long Island

Regarding getting to the islands from Ft Lauderdale - there is a new charter operator that is flying 2x a week to Long Island direct from Ft Lauderdale Executive Airport - www.choiceairways.net and there is a 4 bedroom place listed on Trip Advisor that looks perfect for you - shallow beach with great snorkling and kayaks too! The no-seeums just seem to be a fact of life when you are out of the wind! Skin so soft or Baby Oil seem to help by putting up a barrier between them and your ankles! Have a great time on your trip!