We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cat Island tips/recs

Rockaway, New Jersey
4 posts
Save Topic
Cat Island tips/recs

We are staying at Fernandez Bay on Cat Island in April - any recommendations or tips? We will probably rent a car for a day or two, and the resort also has small boats to rent. We'll go to the Hermitage, snorkel, etc... anything else specific? besides relaxing ;) I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info about the island.

I also heard to bring cash since no banks/ATMs on the island - how much for a week? We'll probably eat at the resort most days but might want to sample some other places around the island.

Any other advice? Just want to be prepared since there are not a lot of resources on the island. Thanks!

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
338 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cat Island tips/recs

There is really not much more to do on Cat Island. Maybe a dive trip, or fishing. Plan on kayaking -- the mangrove creek just south of Fernandez Bay will give you hours of exploration, plus access to other beaches. You can rent bikes and get to some of the ocean beaches. A car is good for exploration as well.

You don't really need cash for FBV -- meals, drinks, gift shop items, bike rentals, etc. can be charged to your account and then settled with a credit card at the end of your stay. You might need cash for the rental car (though last time we went, we used a credit card), but restaurants off the resort will prefer cash. (I always bring way too much -- $1,000 -- because I had a close call running out of cash in Grand Turk some years ago, so don't take my advice on how much to bring.)

2. Re: Cat Island tips/recs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 10:27