We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Eleuthera - Car Rental

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
North Eleuthera - Car Rental

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a car rental company in North Eleuthera? If so, where are they located? What is their number, and hours of operation?

We are thinking of coming to Eleuthera in the morning with a packed lunch, picking up a car, and driving along the island, to the south side and the lighthouse and remote south end beaches (stopping at a few beaches along the way).

Could anyone offer us some advise on things to avoid, things not to be missed? Also, how long would this kind of a day take??

Any tips on car rental and an excursion along the island would be great. Thank you for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Eleuthera - Car Rental

Car rentals are not done through "companies," but through individuals. I'm not sure about a car in N. Eleuthera. We rented from Mr. Johnson; it was arranged through our house rental outside Governor's Harbour. Most rental cars are pretty beat up, but are fine for exploring if you don't expect luxury.

Driving from N. Eleuthera down to Lighthouse Beach would take several hours. We drove down from mid-Eleuthera and it took us over 2 hours. You would have to set out pretty darn early to drive down to the southern tip, stopping along the way to explore and have a bite to eat. It is a spectacular location, however.

If you are not up for that long of a day, you could stop at beaches in the middle part of the island. Club Med beach is a beauty. Check out the site wwww.discover-eleuthera-bahamas.com for detailed info on beaches, with directions.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
On Island
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North Eleuthera - Car Rental

try these

North Eleuthera Service Station at (242) 335-1128

Simeon Stuart at North Eleuthera Gas station at Airport Corner 335-1548

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Stuart
Stuart
Florida
Maine
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: North Eleuthera - Car Rental

Cars are available from Freddie Ferguson

fergief@batelnet.bs)He is the caretaker of several properties in Eleuthera and a wonderful guy.

I agree with the first poster, the island is 110 miles long and you will need more than a day to go the length and then have anytime at all to visit the beach. Club Med beach is nice on the Atlantic side...CocodeMama's beach is deserted and beautiful,about halfway down the island, almost to Gov Harbour: don't know why the resort seemed to be closed when we were there in FEB.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Eleuthera - Car Rental

You guys are the best!! Thanks for taking the time to reply. My husband is checking out the car rental references that you provided to us.

About the timeline, we have heard that going down to South Eleuthera is really worthwhile (sounds like you guys think it is too - right??).

Would it work to take a boat from Harbour Island to Grovenor's Harbour instead (if there is such a boat)? If so, that would cut our time in half, and we could pick up the car right in Grovenor's.

This means we would have to visit Gregory Town, North Eleuthera and Spanish wells some other time.

The problem is that we only have three days.

Please let me know if this would work. We have one day to spend on Eleuthera.

Also, I should ask, does anyone know when the latest boat leaves for Harbour Island? It would be nice to go back there after dinner time, in the evening, but I don't want to simply assume that we can, and then find out that we are stuck overnight.

Again, any reply would be terrific.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Gregory Town
Gregory Town
Eleuthera
Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Eleuthera - Car Rental

By the way, if anyone can suggest a good itinerary for a day in Eleuthera, please let us know.

These are some of the things we wanted to do/see (not in any particular order. What places are must-ses/dos in the time we have? Which can be skipped?

- have a nice breakfast somewhere (possibly outdoors)

- check out Spanish Wells

- preacher's cave

- check out the glass window

- gregory town

- the cave

- surfer's beach

- club med beach

- 10 bay beach

- beach at/beyond lighthouse (heard it's nice)

- cape elethera

- the lighthouse

- ocean hole

- rock sound

- have dinner somewhere nice on the route back to the boat dock for Harbour Island

- hot tubs

- bannerman bay

- hidden beach

Is anything missing?

We're not sure about Spanish Wells, as we are hearing mixed reviews. I heard the lobster is great, maybe for lunch somehwere (if anything is open - does anyone have a recommendation)? Or, maybe dinner, but can we off of SW, and Eleuthera, and back to HI in the evenings? If so, is it an issue to be out in the evenings here?

Also, we were contemplating taking a short ride to another island from HI on another day. Would it work better to simply go to Man Island, or would it be worth trying to get to Allen Cay on the Exumas. Again, I am not even sure if there is a boat that runs from HI to the Exumas, but I thought I would check.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Boston,MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Eleuthera - Car Rental

Hi:

For a single day to make it all the way from north eleuthera to south is pretty ambitious. Remember the island is > 100 miles long, you will be driving on the left and averaging 40-50mph. Also, dont get me wrong, I love Eleuthera, but the drive along the queens highway is not very interesting. Except for some stretches along James Cistern and Tarpum Bay it is mostly inland. Also most of the best beaches are down dirt roads and take a bit longer to navigate; for example if you do decide to go all the way to lighthouse beach (which admittedly is fantastic) it could take almost 30 minutes to cover the last 3 or 4 miles of dirt track. In summary you might want to reduce the target list and give yourself more time to enjoy them. If you do go to Preacher's Cave I have heard that Ben Bay beach which is nearby is beautiful.

I found this site useful www.discover-eleuthera-bahamas.com/index.html Also if you use google earth, there is a kmz file you can download from here http://elusivebeaches.com/google_earth.html which will help you navigate, measure distances etc.

Mentioned in this post
Preacher's Cave
Preacher's Cave
90 Reviews
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Atlanta
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: North Eleuthera - Car Rental

try www.eleutheracarrentals.com

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Eleuthera - Car Rental

Thank you guys for the info.

What about taking a boat from Harbour Island directly to Grovenor's Harbour (and then back to Harbour island later)?

If we started from Harbour Island, we could probably cut down a lot on our time. Please let us know if you can.

Mentioned in this post
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
PA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: North Eleuthera - Car Rental

You can get a boat from Harbour Island to North Eleuthera. I don't know of any boat directly to Govonor's Harbour and it is quite a distance from North Eleuthera. You could go to some of the great beaches in North Eleuthera. Twin Sisters Beach, Tay Beach. I heard Spanish Wells isn't really worth going to. Make sure you stop at Glass Window Bridge. Sufer's beach is in Gregory Town. Hope that is helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Glass Window
Glass Window
462 Reviews
Eleuthera
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Gregory Town
Gregory Town
Eleuthera
ny
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Eleuthera - Car Rental

If you only have one day in eleu and you are coming/based in N eleuthera I would skip lighthouse beach. As others have mentioned eleu is Very long. It took us two hours to get from gov harbour to the ferry to HI in north eleu. There are so many beautiful beaches that you could explore in north eleu and gov harbour area. My fav ones in central eleu are club med, beach by joes restaurant, ten bay and tippys.