We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Access to beaches

maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Access to beaches

Hello all, my husband and I are trying to decide between renting a house in Rock Sound or Governors Harbour. We like the idea of renting a home in a small village but are concerned about getting access to the best snorkeling beaches. In St. John, USVI all the beaches are public but that does not appear to be the case in Eleuthera. Are there public parking areas where along the beaches for snorkeling? Many thanks.

Boston,MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Access to beaches

To the best of my knowledge all beaches in the Bahamas are public. The challenge on Eleuthera is finding the best beaches; which is why having a copy of the "Elusive Beaches" books is a must. Also checkout discover-eleuthera-bahamas.com/index.html. There will always be a small parking area at any of the beaches; typically you will be alone or there might be one or two other groups on the beach.

We just got back last week and found the snorkelling good at Twin Coves and on the reefs off Club Med beach (although imo it is probably not up to the standard of the Virgin Islands). I have also heard that the snorkelling at Half Sound is very good but did not get the chance to check it out. There is also a man in Tarpum Bay who will take you out on his boat for what was described as excellent snorkelling. I dont remember his name but if you ask around you'll find him.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Access to beaches

I always stay in Palmetto Point. The houses on the North side (ocean) have coral outcroppings within 50-100' from the shore.It's weather dependent though. If the wind is up the visibility is down. Also depending on the house you rent access into the water can be a problem as the coral comes up to the shore in most areas. I've also been to St. John. You won't see the soft corals like on St. John but the hospitality & locals more than make up for this. In my opinion St. John is 10x more commercialized than Eleuthera. No shopping per say, although there are a few nice places scattered about. Been to St. John 3 times til I "found" Eleuthera. Felt like I hit the lottery. Last 6 trips in 3 years have all been to Eleuthera. Stayed in various houses & never really had a problem, + the price is 1/2 of a similiar place on St. John. Friendliest locals I've ever come across in my travels anywhere. Don't expect a Ritz or 4 Seasons experience.

I stay in N. Palmetto exclusively because of it's central location. From Rock Sound to the north end of the island is about 1.5 hrs. each way without stops. There are also plenty of dining choices near/in Palmetto Point.

Have you booked a house? I assume not based on your post. The better places get booked a minimum of 3 months in advance.

Email me with what you needs/wants are & I'll do my best to give you advice. I'm not affiliated in any way with homeowners or dining establishments. I just love the place & like to assist others. Also I'm an avide snorkeler.

3. Re: Access to beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 22:19
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera