We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We have just returned from 3 weeks on Eleuthera so this is our report! For background, we are UK citizens living in Houston, TX and were traveling with our 4, 9 & 11 yr old children.

We flew from Houston to Tampa, stayed overnight and then the next day..Tampa to Fort Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale to Governors Harbour. The caretaker of the house met us and took us to our house where our rental car, previously arranged through him, was waiting.

We stayed in Mon Soleil on the Club Med/French Leave beach which is in the center of the Island and a few minutes drive to Governors Harbour. The house is 'dated' but was clean, very well equipped and perfect for our family. It was just a few steps on to the pink sand and with the beach nearly deserted most of the time we were there it felt like we were on our own island! The children were not very enthusiastic about visiting anywhere else as they just wanted to play on the beach, swim and snorkel although we did do a few trips out to explore other parts of the Island.

Snorkeling was good although there are other places in the world that it is better. We snorkeled off the beach and the various reefs on the Club Med beach. Snorkeling wasn't absolutely necessary as a nurse shark, barrucudda, sting ray and a myriad of other large and small fish would swim in shore some days and we would be around our legs! The Club Med beach waters were very calm most days and even on the stormiest days the waves were still gentle.

Food is very expensive but we knew that. Expect to pay about double US (houston) prices for basics. Most days we bought fish from the fisherman that came up the Club Med beach each day which they cleaned and filleted on the rocks for us! We also bought fish from the fisherman in Governors Harbour.

We ate out a few times but knew with 3 kids it was going to be out of our budget to do regularly. Food at Buchaneers Club & Cigatoo Inn was expensive and awful. Tippys food was great and 4 entrees, 2 desserts was $140. The food at the Fish Fry on Friday night at Governors Harbour was great and cheap. We bought fresh croissants and bread nearly daily at the Banks Road Deli. $21 for 12 Croissants

We had 10 consecutive days of power outages and if you are renting a house check they have flashlights, if not take your own. Our house had none and the children were scared a couple of times.

As we were gone for 3 weeks both my husband and I were supposed to do some work but the wireless internet at the Haynes Library would not work & ATT Air Card did not work. Saying that the librarian was very helpful in hooking us up to a local internet connection so we managed to do a few hours work here and there.

Bugs were OK until the weather turned stormy and we had rain! After that Skin So Soft and Deep Woods did not help. Neither did Cortisone Cream or other bug cream to relieve the itching help. Now we have returned Benedryl Extra Strength cream seems to be helping.

This was a perfect vacation for us, we loved the quiet beach and never knowing what we would see on the beach or in the ocean from day to day. We would definitely return once we have visited the thousands of other countries in the world!

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Houston, so glad to hear it sounds like you had a good vacation. We are staying on the Atlanic for our second vacation there in 09. Wouldn't think of going anywhere else for now, we love it there. Great trip report! Thanks, Deb

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
809 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Very nice! We leave in early Nov for Pink Sands Cottage in/near Palmetto Point. How about grocery stores and places to buy beer? Gas? any other beaches you went to, snorkeled, shelling? Any adivce would be great!

http://community.webshots.com/user/kagjjg

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

I am not sure what there is Palmetto Point but we met people that were staying there who were stocking up in Governors Harbour. The Shell station appeared to be best for groceries & gas. There is also the Burrows store but I found the Shell store to be better. Apart from one packet of frozen chicken breasts I steered clear of the frozen meat. There is no fresh meat to buy. As I mentioned in my post we ate freshly caught fish every day and that was perfect for us. Beer can be bought at the Shell Station plus there is at leaqst 2 liquor stores in Governors Harbour. We visited Ten Bay beach for shelling and Gaulding Cay for snorkeling. Lots of sand dollars in Gaulding Cay but nothing particularly different snorkeling wise.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

jjg, If you are planning to go to Rock Sound, to see the Ocean Hole, there is the "Market" a large grocery store, liquor, and hardware store and gas station in a strip mall fashion. If you want different meats you can order a BBQ pack at the meat counter of different meats, it's not cheap, but seemed a good value for the island. I would call or stop in to see what they have available if it interests you. As for snorkeling,we stayed a Ten Bay and the best snorkeling would be along the rock face that is to the left side of the beach where the homes are located. If you have any more questions you can PM me and i'll try to help if I can. Have a great trip! Cheers, Deb

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

WOW, three weeks!! Glad you had a good time. Thanks so much for your thoughts. I agree, there are sooo many places to see in the world....not enough time or $$ to do it!!! LOL

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

as you leave the main road heading east turn left at the ice cream shoppe. Then take a left a the heiniken bar & the grocery store will be about 300' on the right. They also take credit cards. Also there is a decent liquor store about a 1/2 mile before yor turnoff on the west side of the road across from a gas station. There are larger ones in GHB(2). Also just south of the liquor store I mentioned there is another gas station set back on the east side. They take credit cards too. Don't miss the bakery in GHB. On the west side just south of GHB. On a side street, a bit hard to find but just drive the sideroads & youll find it, or just ask anyone. The best selection for groceries is actually at the Shell gas station in GHB.

7. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 04:19