We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top snorkeling spots

daisytown
Level Contributor
641 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Top snorkeling spots

We will be in Eleuthera in June for our first trip. We are staying in Govermors Harbour but will be exploring the whole island. What would be the top 5 snorkeling spots. I just got the Canon D10 underwater camera and I cannot wait to try it out.

Is there any spots where turtles are most likely to be at?

Nancy

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top snorkeling spots

Hi Nancy, in the search box next to eleuthera forums type in turtles then snorkeling after you have read the posts about turtles. According to the 4 page map I purchased from Pam's Island Made gift shops, ( $10.00 shops locations: across from ELH, Gregory Town, & Tarpum Bay to the best of my knowledge ) snorkeling spots are, in no particular order as far as sightings but north to south, Current Cut, coast opposite of Surfers Beach, Hidden & Rainbow beaches, James Point, Airport beaches, Alabaster Bay, Twin Beach and opposite Laughing Bird Cay, Girt Bay, south of Salt Bay atlantic side, Crossing Bluff - Winding Bay, along coast by Half Sound, along Jacks Bay and Lighthouse Point. This all of course depends on how lucky you are on any given day. Good luck!

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top snorkeling spots

Great answer Deb: We also found really good snorkeling the south end of Double Bay and around the island there too. Can only swim out on a calm day - be very aware of the tides - I'm told you can see nurse sharks and lobsters. Such a shame we didn't make it that far out - too choppy.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top snorkeling spots

Well thank you so much Annie, I hope you and yours are well. It's a great question for those who don't know, I have been to spots that are said to be great and have seen nothing so it's really up to luck as far as i'm concerned. Also a great answer from you to be aware of the tides, I forgot that. I don't usually have to worry about that as i'm a bit of a scaredy cat in too deep of water. We had alot of luck just walking the beaches and seeing the largest rays so close to shore in just inches of water both sides of island. Our first trip we stayed at a great house on Ten Bay, on a little cove and saw leopard rays almost every day off the deck over the water, beautiful! If you have any more questions Nancy be sure to ask. Happy New Year to All, Cheers

Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Top snorkeling spots

Don't know about turtles, but our favs are Twin Coves, south end of Double Bay, Ten Bay (not much coral, but have found lots of Sand Dollars), Airport Beach North, Central and South.

I know there are more, but those are the ones we go back to every time we're there.

Barefoot TEX

5. Re: Top snorkeling spots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2010, 06:16