We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phones

alabama
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cell phones

Does anyone have any information on cell service on Eleuthera?

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phones

Well... Pre-paid phones (What we think of as pre-paid in the US) are common; You can actually rent cell phones pretty inexpensively and receive calls on them, but can't place calls unless you charge them with $$ phone cards.

Many grocery stores carry the cards (i.e. Burrows in GHB); Surprisingly, the service isn't bad on the main roads and towns. I think they are "GSM" there and not CDMA. So if you have GSM service (AT&T, Cingular, TMobile), in theory your phone would work there, but you'd need to contact your carrier. Someone told me a Verizon phone worked there...

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phones

T-Mobile works just fine all over Eleuthera, but be aware that you will pay roaming at $2.99/minute. I just got my bill from our recent stay in Eleuthera. If you use "push" email on your phone, turn that feature off before you get there to avoid excess data charges.

New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phones

Alot of the rental homes let you use their cell phone . You would just need to buy a cell phone card in one of the grocery stores. They usually come in $10 or $20. They are good to have in case you get into some car trouble or in case of an emergency while exploring deserted beaches. You just never know. We usuallly care the caretakers phone number with us and the rental car person's number also.

4. Re: cell phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera