We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery/Food Prices

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
162 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery/Food Prices

I have read several posts that mention that food prices are high but I am hoping someone could give me a few examples?

On a trip to Grand Cayman we were shocked to pay about $7.50 for a big bag of Doritos more than double what we pay at home. On a trip to Vieques we found food prices to be just a tiny bit more than at home, certainly not worth the trouble we went to to haul food with us.

What can we expect to pay in Eleuthra for poptarts, chips, cereal, cookies etc?

I am traveling with five kids! :) Thanks!!

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery/Food Prices

Sorry to say you will pay more for those types of items, but cheer up, at least you will be in a beautiful place! If you are near a bakery go there for your sweet tooth and the bread is awesome. If your going to be near GHB try the bakery there, we have and it's great. We got there mid morning the bread and sweets were still warm, right from the oven! There was a steady flow of customers so you know your in for a treat. Cheers

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery/Food Prices

I have pointed this out before, but products from the Commonwealth are much cheaper in Eleuthera and the rest of the the Bahamas than US made goods. Sometimes it is unavoidable, but if you are not wedded to American brands and are willing to try UK treats, you will save a lot of money.

The tip about the bakery is very good too. Local products will certainly be cheaper than imports.

So you will be on a beautiful island to explore. Explore lots of new things!

Have fun!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
162 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery/Food Prices

I appreciate the replies but still am unsure what to expect with prices. Can I buy UK chips, cookies, cereal etc for similar US prices or do I need to bring a suitcase of food? We do not care about brands. We are very excited about the vacation and understand that everything has to be shipped in, but are just trying to plan and pack smart with our budget! Thanks!

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery/Food Prices

+2 to the bakery. Daily stop for us when there. +2 on UK-origin items, as well (It's a duty thing).

Also - check out Island Farms off the highway on the way from GHB to Savannah - really good herbs and produce.

The docks in GHB or Tarpum Bay (or any of the towns, really - but those two in particular) are an excellent place to pick up fresh fish/conch/summer crab, etc.

To answer the main question - Yes, most things in the grocery (especially branded items like Doritos, et al) will be more (sometimes substantially) than what you'd pay at a US mega-mart. We do bring some staple snacks (Easy mac, granola bars, etc), but not much. I find I'd rather deal with a little extra cost for the avoidance of having to plan for and drag that much more stuff with us. Plus, I like to support a local small business in a place I love.

Also - non-food related, if your kids are younger, definitely stop by the Library in GHB and see what they have going on whilst you're on-island. They run a lot of activities and fun stuff during the day for the kiddos there (at least they used to, we missed last year).

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery/Food Prices

From my cupboard:

14 oz. Cheerios, $5.39

10 oz. Rold Gold pretzels, $3.89

8.75 oz. Chex Mix, $3.95

Snax and cereals are expensive here, what with the shipping and import duties. I'd guess those prices are double-+ what you'd pay in the U.S. And it's really hard to travel with a big load of chips and cereals without crushing them.

One thing we do: The stores carry quick-bake Betty Crocker cookie and brownie mixes. Yeah, nobody wants to spend their vacation baking, but with one egg and a little butter you can turn out a couple dozen fresh cookies in 25 minutes -- and it's way cheaper than buying them.

You might bring your own PopTarts, as they pack well and don't crush easily. Popcorn is a good option, too -- microwave bags are available about everywhere, or bring your own as they also pack easily.

Another good value for snacking is the half-gallon tubs of DairyMaid ice cream from Nassau -- very good stuff, and some unique flavors. Try the coconut. And the cherry vanilla, if you can find it. Makes great milkshakes, too, which are a real treat after a hot day at the beach. (US ice creams, as you might guess, are *extremely* expensive, cost more per-pound than lobster.)

Might also be a good time to introduce the kids to the joys of fresh fruit for snacking, if only for a week. ;-) Pineapples are in season, and there's nothing finer than a chilled Eleuthera pineapple for a snack. I don't think there's a better pineapple on the planet. Hawaii included.

Have fun, good luck ...

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
480 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery/Food Prices

Here is a list of some of the items we purchased yesterday:

Ritz $7.05

Tostitos Salsa $5.07

Tostitos Lime Doritos $5.45

Butter Spread $2.75

hot dog buns $2.10

Hot dogs $4.77

eggs $1.98

sweet relish $3.22

Smuckers Simply Fruit $4.68

Ocean Spray Grapefruit Juice 3L $11.61

Burrow's in Governor's Harbor has a lot to choose from -- bigger than what we've had at other out islands. I brought our favorite spices and they had most of them. We brought Crystal Light thinking there was no chance of that but it was here - more expensive of course. That I would still bring with me as it is so easy to transport as are our favorite spice mixes.

Hope that helps. It's absolutely gorgeous here. If you have any specifics you want me to look for next grocery stop send me a private message if you want to.

Hope this helps.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
162 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery/Food Prices

Thanks very much for the info!!

8. Re: Grocery/Food Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera
Recent Conversations