We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locally grown fruit

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Locally grown fruit

Hi!

First-timers arriving at the end of June. I would like to know what fruits are grown on the island, where to get them and approximate cost. We are planning to hit Island Farm-what days are they closed? Also, what seafood is in season at end of June/beginning of July? We like to eat what the locals eat when we can. Is it guava duff time? Thanks for all of your input. Sherry

michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Locally grown fruit

Hi Sherry,

We are arriving the end of June too and can't wait....we are also first-timers! So I will be watching your post for replies!

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Locally grown fruit

To be honest the local produce on Eleuthera is one of the few things about the island that I find disappointing. Agriculture on Eleuthera used to be pretty well developed but there is not much left. The pineapples are in season and they are the best, and Island Farms has a few good things. However there is the potential for so much more.

You will find lots of grouper and snapper on the menu in restaurants. You can also buy fresh fish at some docks.

NYC
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locally grown fruit

You're likely to find locally-grown soursops, pineapples, mangoes, tamarind, guava, papaya, bananas and sapodillas. Try Millard's in Palmetto Point or Carey's in Tarpum Bay, as they often sell local fruits and vegetables, as does Island Farm. Up toward Hatcet Bay and Gregorytown, there are often people selling their produce on the side of the road in the settlements. Prices vary widely; pineapples can run anywhere from $4-$6 each. Local tomatoes are pretty much finished; as the temperature creeps up, the tomato season ends. Island Farm won't restart their Tuesday and Friday bread baking until the fall, when it cools off.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locally grown fruit

Thanks for the info guys. Tad63-

Who are you traveling with and where are you staying? We are renting Sea Cliff which is next door to Finiterre in Palmetto Point. We are a family of 5. Me, spouse and 3 teens. Sherry

Ontario
Level Contributor
340 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Locally grown fruit

Sapodilla fruit! It was the first time I had ever tried it - it has the texture of kiwi and tastes like sugared caramel! Millard's in North Palmetto has a beautiful sapodilla tree and will sell the fruit. It just came into season in mid-May so hopefully it may still be available? Millard's also sells Abaco chicken (frozen of course) but it you are into roasting whole chickens, they are fabulous. The local sugarloaf pineapple was phenomenal too. I don't like pineapple at home, but I loved this kind of pineapple.

Sewickley...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Locally grown fruit

Probably too late to reply, but Millard's had bananas, pineapples, mangoes, soursop, and watermelons....all great except the mangoes were too stringy.

7. Re: Locally grown fruit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 05:16