We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Building a House on Eleuthera

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Building a House on Eleuthera

Has anyone had any experience building a place on Eleuthera?

We noticed that almost all of the homes are build of concrete, which seems to be an island resource. I'm thinking about a small/medium sized place, not fancy but practical and stylish. I don't have a huge budget and would not be looking for fancy or super high end contractors. Any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Building a House on Eleuthera

In the Eleuthera Magazine 2009/2010 issue I

brought home from my one day excursion

to Harbour Island in May there is an ad

for Graham Real Estate offering lots

from only $17,500. They should be able

to help you with your plans. Check their

website for information or give them a call.

www.grahamrealestate.com

(242) 356-5030

Being that sand is the biggest natural

resource, next to clean water, it's the

prevalent building material turning

into concrete. This material also make

the structures highly resistant to

hurricanes compared to traditional

wood frame units.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Building a House on Eleuthera

Get a LOCAL lawyer first, before you do anything, including making a down payment on anything. In the Bahamas, "good title" is the responsibility of the buyer not the seller.

Ontario
Level Contributor
312 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Building a House on Eleuthera

Yes absolutely true about the lawyer and good title. I have friend who is completing construction in Eleuthera. Her and her husband had to have a background / criminal check done and provide references. Their builder was Jason Thompson - he was great (he did SkyBeach). They recommended getting the Bahamas Handbook which provided them with useful information for buying and building. I spoke to an agent while I was down there - re: concrete vs. wood. He said that he recommends wood construction because it can give sway to hurricanes whereas the concrete will just crack. Not so sure about the validity of the theory, but funny enough that he lives in a concrete house himself. I believe I read that there is no tariff on concrete or lumber.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,359 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Building a House on Eleuthera

Building a house in the Bahamas without local guidance is a huge mistake many make. Get a local lawyer -- one that comes recommended and is in good standing with the Bahamas Bar Association -- there are far too many local charlatans who are happy to sell land that does not belong to them, set you up with a "cousin" who's a "lawyer", then vanish, leaving you to sort out the mess on your own. The advice others have already shared is right on the mark. If you haven't already done so, do your homework, please!

Concrete is the means to build here for reasons others have stated, as well as that it does tend to stand up to hurricanes better than wood -- no matter what that agent may have said. Building codes and insurance companies will almost require it for coverage. Hurricane insureance is very expensive in the Bahamas. Any house right on the water is going to suffer damage -- wood, metal, or otherwise -- so take that into account. Wood is also subject to rot, termites and humidity, and is typically only used for temporary structures.

The bulding material duty free exemption under the Family Islands Development Encouragement Act does not cover mainland Eleuthera, only Current Island. This only applies to private homes, as the hotel act has different provisions.

The lots Tigervette mentions for $17.5K are located in a new subdivision, called "Cool Breeze", in Tarpum Bay. While the subdivision is not on the water, lot owners have access to a nearby beach, which is really quite spectacular -- having taken a look that way in March. There are other lots for a little bit more up to 24K that are larger and better located, so there are some options. The realtor can recommend both local builders and law firms based in Nassau.

5. Re: Building a House on Eleuthera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 08:28