We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Florida to Eleuthera

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Flights from Florida to Eleuthera

I know there have been numerous posts on this subject, however we are having problems finding reasonable rates. We live in Tallahassee, FL and would like to fly from here. Our trip will hopefully be the last week of September. The rates we are finding (Continental) are around $750 a piece round trip. This seems high to me. On the American Airlines site it seems like they do not even fly to Eleuthera, but I have heard otherwise on this forum.

Am I also correct that it is best to fly into Eleuthera instead of going into Nassau? The prices seem higher while trying to avoid Nassau. Thanks in advance!!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Florida to Eleuthera

Hey, Oahu ...

You will find a number of people on this board and other Eleuthera boards who seem to have an irrational fear of connecting through Nassau -- as if they'll be eaten by cannibals or something.

I do it all the time and it's really not a problem. From where I originate in the US it's *way* cheaper than going to Lauderdale to pick up Continental or American directly to GHB or ELH. People in other cities find it cheaper to skip Nassau and fly directly to GHB -- it just depends on where you're originating. Frankly, $750 from anywhere in FLA sounds really steep to me.

You can connect with Southern Air or BahamasAir, both of whom fly over 3 times a day, roughly 7 a.m., noonish and 4 p.m. Pineapple Air is also reasonably dependable and has a lowball ticket price at the moment, round trip from NAS to GHB.

If you can hook through Nassau cheaper, and it doesn't require a long layover, there's no reason not to do it.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
754 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Florida to Eleuthera

We flew AA to ELH thru MIA in March. Good fare ($400) & good connection. But, they don't fly every day. Try different days of the week.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Florida to Eleuthera

Dave is correct that the situation varies greatly in different parts of North America. From places like Detroit and Chicago the American flight through Miami to ELH is very cheap and convenient. From the eastern seaboard you are better off trying to fly direct to Nassau and then to Eleuthera. American has had flights Detroit-Miami-ELH for a while now priced at $310 Canadian dollars, return. Taxes and fees take this just over $400. I'm pretty sure this runs daily right now, and they may be switching back to flying into GHB. I'm not familiar with options in your part of Florida. If the airport that you normally fly from has a non-stop flight into Nassau then that is your best option. If you have to connect with another location in FL before you can fly to the Bahamas, then you are probably better off flying to Miami or Lauderdale and then direct to Eleuthera instead of stopping again in Nassau. The Super ATR that AA uses direct into Eleuthera is about 75 seats and is a nicer ride than the 19 seat Beechcraft that pretty well everybody else flies into Eleuthera.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
881 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Florida to Eleuthera

We are also from Tallahassee. We bought tickets for October a few months ago on AA thru Miami to ELH for about $350. Our travel day was a Monday. I say was....because we just got a call the other day from AA saying they will no longer offer the Monday flight. They will only fly T, Th and Sat. So we had to rethink everything. We did not want to lose a day or most of the day by flying all day on Monday thru Nassau then Southern Air so we booked one more night at our villa on Harbour Island and we will fly to Nassau on a Sunday and fly Southern Air over for $65 one way. Our Saturday return flight will be ok. We could have gone through Nassau on Monday but we would not arrive on HI until much later than our original noonish arrival because AA also dropped the early flight out of Tallahassee. Actually, now you cannot even make it all the way to ELH in a day without going through Nassau. The TLH to MIA flight arrives so late in Miami that you would have to lay over.

And AA said all of this could change again. Some of the AA reps were very rude to us and did not care that is is our wedding trip. I finally got a nice girl who helped us figure out what to do after several very rude reps. Send me a PM if you want to discuss further.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Florida to Eleuthera

Sorry to hear that bythesea. I checked the AA website and it looks like they fly daily through August and then cut back to 3 times a week. Perhaps its just too large a plane for daily flights to Eleuthera.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
881 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Florida to Eleuthera

Thanks for checking that Dave. I guess if they have to cut back then they have to cut back. The silver lining is that we will have an extra day and night in paradise for the cost of one night at the villa and a one way on Southern Air. We feel fortunate that we got a great price on AA when we bought the tickets. We are crossing our fingers that nothing else changes.

DCA
Level Contributor
227 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from Florida to Eleuthera

The main reason I do not like connecting through Nassau is because of the layover time. From my origin, it's an extremely tight connection to make one of the 12/1230 flights from Nassau to Eleuthera, leaving me in the domestic terminal for ~4 hours. I would rather spend 2 or 3 hours waiting in Miami or Fort Lauderdale, where the food options are significantly better.

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights from Florida to Eleuthera

We like to head across the parking lot outside of the NAS airport for some great local fare, bbq chicken/ribs and the usual fixens with a Kalik , seems to make the 3 hours fly by. It's all part of our holiday.

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights from Florida to Eleuthera

We like to head across the parking lot outside of the NAS airport for some great local fare, bbq chicken/ribs and the usual fixens with a Kalik , seems to make the 3 hours fly by. It's all part of our holiday.

10. Re: Flights from Florida to Eleuthera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2011, 06:16