We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Earl and TS Fiona

West Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Hurricane Earl and TS Fiona

After a long awaited planned trip (over 3 years), three of us are leaving for Eleuthera on Sunday. The storms have me very concerned at this point. If any of you are locals and can give an insight to the storms, please post it here. Thank you so much.

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Earl and TS Fiona

By Sunday Earl and Fiona will have passed the area. Earl is more of an immediate concern, as it is much stronger and will brush the Bahamas. It's possible there will be some rain squalls, and winds are expected around 40 mph across the island chain on Wednesday. But it will be all clear by the weekend. Hopefully the turn more north happens that the forecasters, and computer models are predicting. Lasting impact will be a big increase of ocean swells, that will continue into next week. So be cautious of rip currents.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Earl and TS Fiona

Roger that on the rip currents ... they've been heavy for the past week, since the full moon and then the edge of the winds from the storms. You could be standing waist-deep and feel it tugging you out. Heavy surf on the Atlantic side, some beach erosion already.

Still, as noted, these two storms should be long gone by Sunday, tho there still will be some breeze. Good time to go beachcombing on the Atlantic side, but the "bight side" will be better for swimming.

Have fun ...

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Earl and TS Fiona

And more importantly, hope for the safety of everyone down there.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Earl and TS Fiona

I'm just back in Nassau from Long Island (Bahamas) this morning and though the wind has picked up a bit and the waves a little larger, it is still a beautiful sunny day in both places. We had a very smooth flight down and the sea didn't look that rough.

On its present course, Earl is expected to miss the islands, but will still send tropical storm weather our way over the next 2 days, then it will be a few more days for things to settle down a bit. 30 - 40 mph wind gusts and rain sounds about the worst of it.

Fiona is expected to have even less of an impact on the Bahamas, and as other posters have said, both storms will be long gone by Sunday.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Earl and TS Fiona

Thank you all for your responses. I hope for everyones safety in the eye of the storms. I so look forward to a week in Eleuthera basking in the sun,or the rain!

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Earl and TS Fiona

It's looking better, but I'm not ready to say it's all clear. Sorry, living on the gulf coast most of my life, I've seen more than my share of storms do the unpredictable. But it''s looking pretty good that Earl won't have any devastating effects on the Bahamas. Currently, we have a series of fast moving showers moving over Nassau. Rains heavy for a few minutes, and then stops. The breeze has picked up today, and the water here on Cable Beach has certainly kicked up as well.. Big swells crashing on the reef that is about a mile offshore. and rough along the beach. (Sure wish there was a way to post pictures directly with your post, instead of re-directing to another site or page). Looks like all we can expect, is periods of fast moving downpours, some gusty winds, and a big risk of dangerous rip currents. Should clear up before the weekend. Fiona doesn't appear to be a factor in the future, except keeping the ocean swells a factor.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Earl and TS Fiona

wwbev711- thanks for the report. As a gulf coast resident myself I have a hard time always believing the forecasts or the "projected paths". I love the Bahamas and am hoping that Earl will skirt way east of y'all and not cause any problems. Thanks again for the update. Stay safe. Go Saints!

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane Earl and TS Fiona

My TA friend you are welcome. Still having some very fast moving showers tonight. Wish there was a way to post pictures with your post on this site. Took some pictures this afternoon of the surf here on Cable Beach. And it's something to see. And I'm pretty sure it's going to be more impressive on Wednesday. Geaux Saints!!!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Earl and TS Fiona

I think we need to find a way to get a proper pint to our local weatherman (aka wwbev711)!

I promise to not bug you until my late November holiday!

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane Earl and TS Fiona

I am a weather junkie. Don't worry we have been enjoying some Bicardi Gold tonight. Serioiusly, for only $11 a bottle you can't go wrong. We need to push TA, to make it possible to post pictures with your posts. Got some great shots this afternoon, from here on Cable Beach showing the ocean swells. Clouds are racing by right now, but I;m pretty sure we are going to be fine. Close call? Yes indeed. Probably some brief showers, and a nice breeze, will be curious as the storm pulls north if it pulls moisture up from the south, and brings us some delayed heavy rain.