We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eleuthera Resort Suggestions

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Eleuthera Resort Suggestions

Ok.....after reading about many resorts,rentals etc I cant decide where the best place for me would be on Eleuthera. I'd like a nice resort/rental on the water with a full kitchen, nice beach, somewhat close to a grocery store, beer/liquor store, and dive shop.

I will probably rent a car to explore the island but would like to be somewhat central to the above.

So, I'm looking for peoples recommendations. Even if they dont completely fit what Ive stated above lets hear them PLEASE!!!!

:)

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eleuthera Resort Suggestions

The most problematic of your requirements is the dive shop. How critical is diving to your vacation plans? There are *many* nice rentals available that fit all the other criteria.

Eleuthera is not a major dive destination. The only full-service dive shops are Valentines on Harbour Island and at Cape Eleuthera at the far south of the island.

There is a dive shop at Governor's Harbour, at the island's center, but it's not full-service. Rental equipment and air-fills, but no organized boat trips.

Edited: 14 October 2010, 16:01
Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eleuthera Resort Suggestions

I think something just outside Governor's Harbour fits your needs. Check out Pineapple Fields, or there are lots of houses for rent in that area.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Eleuthera Resort Suggestions

Diving is HUGE. I live to dive on coral reefs.

:)

Thx for the info....

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eleuthera Resort Suggestions

Hi CheekyBandito and welcome, as diving sounds to be your main focus you might want to look at staying on Harbour Island (wouldn't be my choice, but that doesn't matter) or stay more on the northern part of Eleuthera. You would also be very close to The Current Cut, which I believe i've read some have dived that? Correct me if i'm wrong everyone, not a diver. For rentals in that area check vrbo ( and have your map ready) look at Gregory Town, Current, Rainbow Bay & google Rainbow Inn ( they have cottages and a restaurant on site) and Whale Point . Also check with Valentines on HI. they might be able to do something to your liking. If you decide on the southern part of Eleuthera around the Cape area look at vrbo Winding Bay, Rock Sound and Cape Eleuthera. There is also the Island School there which is very interesting. This is only starters and i'm only trying to help, not endorsing any place or site and sorry if it's alot to check out. We don't know when your going or your budget and I would very much advise staying central if staying on Eleuthera (as my friends did) for exploring, it just depends what "you" want. If you want to explore the island, and only dive a few times central would be best check N. Palmetto Point & Palmetto Point, Ten Bay, Savannah Sound, Tarpum Bay, Double Bay and of course GHB. A lot to check out, I know, but this is your trip and we are here to help, you can always PM me, ask away I don't mind. Sorry for being so chatty and hope this helps, just in that kind of mood. Cheers

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eleuthera Resort Suggestions

I am not a diver either but an avid snorkeler and have been on many trips where both divers and snorkelers went out on boat trips. I really wonder if you should consider looking at these other areas for diving since it is of the utmost importance to you:

Andros- supposed to be some of the best diving in the area (large barrier reef)

Long Island- check out Stella Maris Resort (they have their own dive boat/shop and a nice place)

Staniel Cay or Sampson Cay in the Exumas (for dive shops that would dive the Exuma Land and Sea Park- if the snorkeling was that great, the diving must be wonderful)

I have not been to Andros but have been to the other two. I wish you good luck in your search and a wonderful out island experience!!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eleuthera Resort Suggestions

That is *really* good advice, DNA.

Cheeky -- I own a home on Eleuthera so I'm prejudiced toward the place. But I'm also a diver, and if I were leaving Canada for a dedicated dive trip in the Caribbean, Eleuthera would not be my first choice. (Valentine's at Harbour Island isn't bad, tho.)

I've dove Andros more than a dozen times and it's spectacular, with a wall that drops +6,000 feet. It's like staring into infinity. Underwater blue holes, too.

Check the website for Small Hope Bay Lodge, I've dove with them many times. Extraordinary diving (i.e., they'll go *deep*) and a really laid-back lodge. The guy who built the place was a scuba pioneer, it's now run by his sons.

You're not near stores/bars, etc., but all meals are served family style, the food is good, and the bar is open 24/7. No place quite like SHBL.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eleuthera Resort Suggestions

We dove with Stella Maris out of Long Island. The reefs are amazing and the dive master Robert was great. They also do a shark dive (it was one of the first in the Bahamas, I think). You could stay at either Stella Maris (they have small rooms as well as large homes for rent) or Cape Santa Maria. Both are in the North end of the island and both have on site restaurants. Stella Maris has a liqour/grocery store nearby and their own airstrip. Any out island you choose is going to be fairly remote and you'll need to rent a car if you want to explore the island topside. Andros sounds cool with the wall dives and there was a recent Nat Geo show and article about some of the blue holes there (mostly about Abaco blue holes though).

I've heard San Salvador is another big dive spot.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eleuthera Resort Suggestions

Thanks Dave- you still have that cold one waiting for me in the fridge? I am going to make it back to Poponi Beach and meet you some day- it is beautiful there!!

By the way, not to hijack the thread, but what do you think of Andros for NON divers? I have always gone elsewhere but wonder.....

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eleuthera Resort Suggestions

Cheeky- I second the suggestion of LI- we loved Stella Maris- we rented one of the older, pretty basic homes there on their property (no granite counter tops for sure!!!) with a gorgeous view of the crashing Atlantic (it was on a bluff)- there are also houses nearby that have "privileges" at SM (use of the 3 pools, etc). SM is an older property but we thought it had lots of character and the people there were great- they have their own transportation that takes you to the dive boat, to kayak (fun day) , or to other beaches for free (they have sailfishes on one calm beach, too, if you sail) - the activities are free for guests so it is worth a lot for the amenities- I am not sure about diving but we did not pay extra for the snorkel boat trips- there is a daily posting of activities and you sign up for whatever you are interested in. We bought the meal package (don't usually do that but you would need a car to go elsewhere) and the food was good. They also have bikes for guest use and we found some great snorkeling nearby at the rock pools. We rented a car for two days (arranged through the hotel and delivered to us and picked up) to explore and that is easy to do- they will give you a hand drawn map and lots of advice. When we were there the management was very accommodating and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. People who need high end accommodations would not like it but we aren't like that either. I am one of those who enjoy (as their promotions say) "the real Bahamas"!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eleuthera Resort Suggestions

Hey, DnA ... love to have ya drop by, there's usually a cold one in the fridge, unless I've been "misbehavin' " ...

Re Andros: A terrific place if you're into bonefishing or scuba diving, but not a great tourist spot otherwise. Beaches aren't nearly as nice or plentiful as Eleuthera, and not much in the way of stores, shops, restaurants and other amenities.

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera
Recent Conversations