We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Useful gifts/activities for a January trip?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Useful gifts/activities for a January trip?

My nephews and several friends (all within a year or two out of college) have booked a trip to Eleuthera in January. They have already rented a low-budget place to stay, apparently in an area with little else around. Thinking ahead to Christmas, I'm wondering if there is something I could get them that might be useful on their trip?

They are big on outdoor activities, but I'm a bit concerned that the weather & water might be more cool for swimming/snorkeling than they expect. One nephew is particularly into fishing. What other activities might be a good option for this time of year? Any other ideas?

DCA
Level Contributor
227 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Useful gifts/activities for a January trip?

There's a book called the Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera: http://www.elusivebeaches.com/ If they like to explore it should give them a lot to look for.

In Gregory Town there's a shop called Pam's Island Made Gifts, she sell's a great map of the island. If you can get her contact info, you could probably get one mailed.

Low-budget and Eleuthera don't exactly go together, even the price of buying groceries and cooking your own food can be a bit of a shock to first-timers. If they have plan to do some cooking, a miniature spice rack would save a lot $ compared to the store.

While the winter water temperature in the Bahamas may not be as inviting as the summer, it shouldn't be cool enough to keep young people out. So I wouldn't rule out snorkel/swim gear.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Useful gifts/activities for a January trip?

This should work for the map: Pam's Island Made Gift Shop, Gregory Town: 242 335-5369

I think it is the same map sold at Island Farm:

http://www.islandfarmeleuthera.com/

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Useful gifts/activities for a January trip?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Useful gifts/activities for a January trip?

You can get a decent "shorty" wet suit for about $50. We used them for our last trip and it did take the chill off.

Virginia
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Useful gifts/activities for a January trip?

I bought a carry on fishing rod and reel to take to Eleuthera. The rod breaks down in 5 parts and it comes in a small travel container that is easy to carry on a plane. You can find them for around $80 I think. Also, you could by them the eleuthera book and a GPS to use to find the out of way beaches. And a GPS is great for those who like the outdoors. Garmin is a great brand.

Doug

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Useful gifts/activities for a January trip?

A soft-sided rolling cooler to bring in frozen meats from the US. Research this forum to help you decide if this is something they may want to do. It would save lots of $$ and significantly up the quality of their dining.\

I second the Elusive Beaches of Eleuther book -- it's great!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Useful gifts/activities for a January trip?

Pre-pay for a 1/2 day fishing charter. Almost all of the guides will go out bottom fishing. they'll catch a lot of fish. They'll clean them too. A lot more xpensivwe than all the other suggestions, but you didn't suggest a budget.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Useful gifts/activities for a January trip?

Thanks for more great suggestions!

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Useful gifts/activities for a January trip?

Hi WDW, visit www.eleutheratours.com/ for a new tour business. This is at the very southern end of the island, combine a day of seeing that end of it and a great tour. Cheers

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Useful gifts/activities for a January trip?

Next time I'm down I'll do the above boat tour then spend the afternoon at Lighthouse beach. Price is very reasonable. Does anyone know what the minimum number of passengers is?