We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Cove or Sky Beach Club

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Cove or Sky Beach Club

I am trying to decide between The Cove and Sky Beach Club for my honeymoon in June. Can anyone offer their opinion? Both places seem great. Also, which resort would have better snorkeling close by?

Thanks!

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Cove or Sky Beach Club

I would vote on the Cove, as it is prettier to look at.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,332 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Cove or Sky Beach Club

Definitely the Cove.

Sky Beach is okay if you never plan to leave the room, as the rooms are nice, but it's a blighted landscape torn up by bulldozers. Snorkelling would be better and safer at the Cove, as Sky Beach is right on deep ocean access which, depending on the time of year you visit, may be quite rough.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Cove or Sky Beach Club

If you can get past the landscaping (or lack thereof), I would choose Sky Beach Club. Snorkeling on the Atlantic side is much more diverse but the ocean has to be just about glassy (very little wave action). If you look at a satellite view of the area, you can see a very long reef wall just offshore near Sky Beach Club. I think the only good snorkeling at the Cove is around the rocky parts of the shore.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Cove or Sky Beach Club

Both are very nice resorts. Sky Beach is newer, fancier, smaller and more expensive with very nice rooms, a beautiful pool with swim-up bar, and a pretty good restaurant with friendly staff. The Landscraping is the main problem with Sky Beach, and the bare limestone is a bigger problem for some people. The Cover is older, more traditional, with large landscaped grounds. It was closed for renovations when we were by in September and it is for sale for 5.6 million if you have some spare change. Mariah Carey had her most recent marriage there in 2008, so it's not shabby. Both have nice beaches with The Cove being on the more quiet Carribean side, with calmer snorkeling but more sand flies. Sky Beach is more central, and being closer to Governor's Harbour is nice for your first visit. I'm sure that you would be happy with both resorts.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
331 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Cove or Sky Beach Club

if you don't mind living in what looks like a B52 carpet bombing, i guess Sky good be nice - you shouls look at Cocodimama too - very pretty and well kept

Edited: 30 November 2010, 13:57
Chicago
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: The Cove or Sky Beach Club

I'm actually replying to your ? From the pool at Sky Beach as I type - snorkeling today would be very difficult off this beach- it's on the Atlantic and pretty rough- probably more to see but you would get beat up pretty bad- carribbean side is much calmer ( almost flat ) and some decent spots around Alabaster bay ( near Cocodimama). I stayed at Cocodimama for 4 nights and will be here for 2. Skybeach rooms are really nice and the pool is very nice. The whole property is under construction so it feels a little off.. Plus, there are only 3 cabanas and 3 rental houses so its real quiet here, just like the rest of Eleuthra really! Food at Cocodimama is great, tippys is ok.. The beach house tapas is very good. Hope this helps ! Cpngrats

Here
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Cove or Sky Beach Club

The Cove. Snorkeling is pretty good off their beach and point and June is a wonderful time to swim on the Caribbean side.

Cocodimamas is too buggy in June. Sky beach is too barren.

DCA
Level Contributor
227 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Cove or Sky Beach Club

If you can overlook the ongoing construction of Sky Beach Club, I think the luxury of the rooms, including the dual-head shower and freestanding bathtub are more honeymoonish than the very basic accommodations of The Cove. The downside to the bungalows at SBC is that they are next to the restaurant and you will have foot traffic in front of your windows. That said, an Ocean view where you would leave the windows open at The Cove would cost considerably more.

Unless I had a short stay and I wanted to include Harbour Island in my trip, I would take SBC, but I liked my stays at both.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
331 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Cove or Sky Beach Club

for dining we found the food at Sky to be good, Tippys was good, Cocodimama was very good and The Beach House was not very good.

i can't imagine that better showers would offset the blighted grounds at SKY ... if it was my honeymoon it would not be nice to get up in the morning and look over that site... actually it is absolutely bizzare when you see it in person .... like downtown Bagdad...

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Cove or Sky Beach Club

Like many things in the out islands, you have to look past some rather unsavory images (stray dogs, abandoned homes, trash on the beach). What I find amazing is the true beauty of the people and island and if you get it, you get it big and fall in love with the place. I have seen pictures of the land prior to the resort being built and there weren't Bougainvillea, plumeria, bird of paradise, mango trees or other tropical flora but it was scrub and sea grapes. I'm sure the palms that were there on the shoreline were left in place and the rest was removed (unfortunately, so was the topsoil). I'm not sure why everyone has such a problem with the landscaping. Eleuthera is made of limestone and you'll see that at any construction site. The area around the pool has been landscaped and perhaps there's nothing in the budget for phase 2. This resort has only been open for, what, a couple of years? On our 2009 visit we had a couple of lovely lunches there, enjoyed the pool and had nice coversations with the staff. Give it time. I'm sure it will look like the gardens around Cigatoo one day. If I had stayed there on my honeymoon (had it been open at the time) I would have still fallen in love with Eleuthera. Bottom line, don't stress. You know the saying, it's not for everyone. If you're like me, no matter where you stay, you'll fall in love. PS: we stayed at Oceanaire for our honeymoon and it was absolutely perfect!