We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers checks versus Cash

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers checks versus Cash

Heading to Eleuthera in 3 weeks...I did a search on the topic but didn't see anything recent so I am looking for advice with respect to bringing travellers checks in addition to some cash. I'm not comfortable bringing all cash but not sure how accepting restaurants, grocery stores and bars are to travellers checks..

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers checks versus Cash

I can't help you on travelers checks but there are two ATM's in Governors Harbour. The first time we went we brought wads of cash, but lately we just have enough to get started in our possession and use the ATMs when we need more.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers checks versus Cash

Hi Lucky #7,

There was a post on TA about a month ago covering this subject. I have brought travelers checks in the past and have had no problem using them for the larger purchases like the rental car, purchase of food. or for buying gas. I try to make sure I have denominations that are at or just below what I am buying to eliminate getting a lot of change back. I try not to burden locals in reducing the cash in their registers by giving me change. Cash is much easier but I am with you in not wanting to carrying alot of it if I do not have to.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
29 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers checks versus Cash

Thank you for the info..

4. Re: Travellers checks versus Cash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera