We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IPad through customs

Maine
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
IPad through customs

Someone told me that you have to "register" your ipad with U.S. customs before leaving the country so they know you bought it state side. Is that true for travel to the Bahamas? Like I am going to buy an ipad in Eleuthera!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IPad through customs

I did no such thing going to Exuma in March.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IPad through customs

Been back and forth with my iPad, never an issue. Don't know how US Customs would even know you had an iPad unless they searched your bag. And in many years of travel to many different lands, US Customs has never made me open a bag on return. Not once.

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: IPad through customs

Never heard of that. Have gone back and forth with my laptop, blackberry, etc. Of course I pad's are still future technolgy here. We've just embraced blackberry's.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: IPad through customs

I've been back and forth 11 times to Nassau. U.S. Customs there never searched my carry on bags. They never do. You have to declare on the Customs form anything you purchased and are bringing home. On one trip I bought an expensive watch. I could have been dishonest and never declared it. No one would ever know. But, being honest, I paid over $50 in Customs duty to bring it back home.

Maine
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IPad through customs

Thanks for all your input. Put my mind at ease. 2 days to paradise & can't wait!

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IPad through customs

Have a great time! 2 more for us also, Cheers

Maine
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: IPad through customs

Sas58, where are you staying?

8. Re: IPad through customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 02:18