We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report April 30 - May 14

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report April 30 - May 14

First of all we had a wonderful time and didn't do alot of "firsts"as this has been our fifth trip in the last 4 years. Lot's of relaxin' on our beach. Stayed at Beside the Pointe in Savannah Sound, it's a studio and the only house on the bay, very secluded & a mile in from Queens Hwy., perfect for us, all you hear & see is nature, oh, and au natural if you prefer thank you very much Keith & Sharon!

This was our last trip for awhile since we have purchased a property (which needs ALOT of work) for retirement so it was kind of a bittersweet type "goodbye for awhile" kind of visit.

Because of Bahamas Air scheduling we had to leave a day earlier and overnite in Nassau (will never book with them again, as has been discussed in other posts). The flights went ok MKE-CLT-NAS - ELH- GHB. Only problem was in NAS when the flight was delayed because of a problem with the plane and had to wait for a replacement, no problem- Kalik's at the bar! Got to GHB, got the jeep, got the provisions and off to the cottage. Home sweet home!

Places we shopped: Millard's in NPP, great Abaco whole frozen chickens and steaks for $5.00 a piece (really good, make sure you look in the freezers) and a good selection of veg. and other goods, highly recommended! Banks Road Deli, good selection of italian speciality items such as lunch meats, cheeses & bread. The Bakery in GHB for pastries (for the BF) and MORE bread (also for the breadie BF). Rock Sound Market for a bigger selection of necessities during the stay where we got gas also and beer at the liquor store next to it and some more sweets (for the BF again, a real sweet tooth goin' on there) from a sweet grandma selling outside of the store. Island Farm for more veg. and sauces/salsas.

Beaches: Ours of course, went to Coconut Forest-second time but great for exploring, Savannah Sound-great for looking for treasures that have washed up, Gert Bay, Club Med, Gaulding Cay, Blowing Bluff, Cotton Bay, Cape Eleuthera - interesting but way off the grid, Ben Bay- also interesting- I think we went thru blackwoods trying to find this and as some said quite awhile ago to stay away from here as it is a hatian settelment, we were greeted with friendly waves, smiles & hello's from all. Preacher's Cave & Tay Bay (revisited) and also Current Bay- a bit difficult to find but a beautiful beach. Alot of access roads in the area that dead end to no where as thet were chained off by property owners. The road to Preacher's has been improved quite a bit and was really easy to navigate since our last visit. Poponi- great beach!

Bottom Harbour- nobody home but a great area to explore!

Places we ate & drank: Sunset Inn- my personal favorite- breakfast, not their strong point but good, got the grouper fingers and cracked conch & a side of coleslaw for take away after a kalik on their NEW covered deck (done in 1 day) and they still have the best imo. Beach House: We were here several times as our potcakes (long story) frequent the area after losing there adopted dad from cancer and now they are orphans again. We did get to see the female pup (Deb) who was staying with a couple staying at Richview (Thank You to them, great people!) but did not get to see the male pup (Mark) as he was staying with someone who visits 6 months of the year. Thanks so much to the people at The Beach House & to a woman in GHB (Sally-wonderful woman) for looking out for the potcakes! Anyway, we had the lobster ravioli & seafood brushetta, very good!

Windchimes: a small local bar in PP on Queens, we went for drinks and had the most wonderful time here, good time with the owner for local chatter and some of the best conch salad (spicy but very good) I highly recommend a stop here. We don't go out to bars ( ok, forget I said that, but only on Lutra) much but this was a highly enjoyable stop and a first for us.

All in all the second best trip (the first was the best being newbies) knowing where everything (almost) is and being comfortable in this adopted home that we have grown to love. I have to say it is they only place I would go for a "vacation". The people's of this island know how to do it right, locals, transplants, expats & vacationers for the most part, are the best I have had the great fortune to be a small part of. It is Love to me!

In closing I would like to thank Dave & Kay for having us over at Poponi & for their hospitality, Thank you so much, you are both treasures in every sense of the word!

Any questions or comments are highly appreciated! I'm sure I forgot to mention some ting's, just ask!

Lutra Love to All!

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Preacher's Cave
Preacher's Cave
91 Reviews
Eleuthera
Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report April 30 - May 14

Did forget to mention a couple of my best last tings, dinner with the owners of Beside the Pointe in NAS, Love You! Also stayed at Orange Hill for the layover, can recommend but ask for details. Travel thru the new departure in NAS was a breeze on Saturday at 1:00pm for those who want to know! Cheers to all!

Mentioned in this post
Virginia
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report April 30 - May 14

Hey sas58, Glad you had a great trip. We've been watching for your trip report. I'm glad you caught up with Debbie. She is so much fun to spend time with. Debbie embodies the true spirit of Eleuthera. I love my picture of her sitting in the ocean looking out to sea. We are heading down in a month so I will check on Debbie and Mark while we are there.

Dave, will you still be there the end of June? I'd love to catch up with you and exchange Virginia stories. Lynn

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report April 30 - May 14

Nice report! Sad to say you won't be back for many-a-day. I take it the property you bought is not on Eleuthera?

We have tried a few times to go to Windchimes, but the door has always been locked. After reading your notes, we will keep on trying.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report April 30 - May 14

Hey, Sas58, we really enjoyed meeting you folks, glad you were able to stop by. Hope the new "project" doesn't keep you away for too many seasons.

Lynn -- unfortunately, we're gonna be back in the US for a family visit in June, sorry we'll miss ya ... would love to catch up with tales from ol' Virginny.

Best to all,

d.

Virginia
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report April 30 - May 14

Hey Sas,

Maybe I said hi in the departure lounge in Nassau as we were on the same plane that was having mechanical issues? There were a few guys at the little bar and one girl so maybe that was you?

Curious about your experience staying on the Caribbean side versus the Atlantic side your first week in Eleuthera. We were on the Atlantic and had a nice steady breeze for the week and never had issues with no see ums. Did you have any problems with them on the other side of the island? This is my second visit to Eleuthera, both times bug free. Wondering about the Atlantic vs Caribbean and is that the difference.

Doug

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report April 30 - May 14

thanks for the trip report! We also really liked Coconut Forest. We looked at a piece of property there but it was way too small. And the road in was pretty bad. Has it improved? Any homes being built?

I wonder what's going on with the Bottom Harbour Club?

Don't be a stranger to the forum, you always give great advice. Thanks again!

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report April 30 - May 14

Thanks for the trip report. Sorry to hear it might be the last one for a while.

We were at Bottom Harbour for the Sunday BBQ in April. It was open but very quiet.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report April 30 - May 14

Thanks all, Lower Virginia- thank you, I would really appreciate that and I know the pups will love it, I hope they hook up again they've been apart for awhile. Any news you can give me would be appreciated:).

GLD, No, not on Lutra, it's in South Carolina. Keep trying at Windchimes, we had a great time!

Dave, the pleasure was all ours and I hope it won't be to long, I miss her already!

VirginiaBox- It could have been me, i'm short, thin with short darkish hair. We really had no problems with the noseeums either, just maybe 10 bites for me, more for the BF as they love him. The weather was perfect, also breezy for all but 2 days when it was calm in the morning and got more so after the sun was up. To me April-May are the best months, last trip in May it was calmer so more bugs, luck of the draw. Mother nature calls the shots, it helped as it was dry, for the bugs, not for anything else.

Jungledriver- The road is not improved and didn't see any building going on. I heard that they were in Nassau (BH) for a few days, just missed them.

Hi windsor- long time since we talked, miss our chats! I wish they would have been open, I sooooo wanted a burger!

Thank You All for your replys, and Cheers to All, You will have to Keep my spirits up with your trip reports for awhile and I won't be a stranger. How could I, I LOVE LUTRA! Deb

Mentioned in this post
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
new jersey
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report April 30 - May 14

Hi,

I was also on the flight with you. My husband & I just stayed on the Caribbean side in Gov. Harbor, same house, for the 8th time. I could get bitten in gale force winds and Kenny never gets many bites. This year there was a great breeze every day. We always spend some time at the Beach House. Angelika is a fabulous cook. The jerked grouper salad is the best I have ever had. Loved the new rescued dog and hope she continues to improve. Feel free to ask me any questions. We have been all over Eleuthera and love it so much that I book our return trip the day I return to New Jersey.

Sally

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report April 30 - May 14

I kind of chuckle at how many times everyone bumps into each other on the Island. My wife suggested I have a T-shirt made that says: "tripadvisor: Land_locked_in_va" when we go out.

Sat next to another poster at Sunset Inn once...never knew it.

Sas58 - thanx for the report... Can't wait to get back now!