We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 6/29 - 7/9

Virginia
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 6/29 - 7/9

There have been lots of wonderful trip reports lately so I am just going to hit the highlights.

Virginia
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 6/29 - 7/9

Highlights:

Junkanoo, Governors Harbor, 7/2 – This was incredible! If you have the opportunity to enjoy the third one which I think is 7/23 don’t miss it. It took place at the ball field right in town. The food was good. Ninja Conch man was there. Several other vendors selling fish, chicken, peas and rice, conch and rice, macaroni and cheese, and so forth. I had a wonderful strawberry duff. Lots of visiting going on among the locals and the visitors. There was an excellent live band. The North Eleuthera youth marching band put on a great show. There are no words to describe how cool the Rush Out was. Young children to older adults were in costume and playing instruments and blowing horns and shaking cow bells. They were having a greater time than we were and we were having a blast. They started at the library and walked the road by the harbor all the way to the intersection. It easily took 45 minutes. This was an occasion not to be rushed (so to speak). What a great experience.

Nature Preserve (next to Banks Deli) – Quick visit just to get some information, with the intention of returning for a leisurely stroll. The rain messed up our plans to return but it is at the top of our list for next year. The Preserve is first class. The walkways are well done and lots of the markers are in place. This project is not complete but it is far enough along to really enjoy. Mr. Sands, a staff member, was gracious enough to walk us through enough paths to find some poisonwood so we could see what it looked like. He also showed us the almost-twin tree with the sap that is the salve for the poisonwood blisters. He was very informative and we are looking forward to spending some time in the Preserve next year, especially the lookout tower at the back of the park.

Beaches – I love the “treasure” beaches. I always head straight for the “stuff” hoping to find something that is interesting or mysterious. James Point, Receivers, James Cistern, Airport Beach – they are all special.

Dr. Seabreeze is now playing Sunday nights at Cocodimama’s. His son plays the drums and his cousin plays the electric bass. The setting was like an old black and white movie and the music is still in my head.

Food: Billy’s BBQ in James Cistern on Friday. They had fried fish, bbq chicken, pork chops, meatloaf and ribs. Sides of mac ‘n cheese, crabs ‘n rice, corn on cob, cole slaw. Coconut cream pie, brownies and chocolate cake. $10 for the full dinner. It was so hard to decide. And Billy and his family were so nice to talk to.

How could we pass up the stewed fish at the Buccaneer Club after hearing about it from GLDawson? My husband loved it. Our group also had the corned beef and tuna with grits. Tippy’s was great. We ended up going there 3 times since the Beach House Tapas Restaurant is day time only now. The Blue Room had fantastic chicken as promised and Pammy’s was excellent. The coconut pie from the bakery makes a good breakfast once the pastries and doughnuts are gone.

Fish Fry: I didn’t think I would like the new building and deck but I was wrong. It was great. We had good breezes for the two Frys we were able to attend which made for perfect temperatures. The seating is very nice, the food orders work better, and you can lean against the rail to drink your beer and ‘bubbas. (Heads up: one and a half rum bubba’s can make your lips stop working.)

On Wednesday, July 6, we had our first ever afternoon and evening rain out. Thunder, lightning, and rain, rain, rain. But Tippy’s was welcoming and we were surrounded by happy people. All was well.

Yikes! Gas was $5.77 at the GHB shell station and we had a suburban. $90 for a half tank. Twice. Would I trade for a compact car? No way.

Lowlight: Our neighbor on our beach rented a jet ski for the week. Geez Louise. If you need a jet ski then you should go to Nassau. Nothing like the whining of a jet ski for hours to bust the bubble of tranquility. The jet ski was pulling a 3-person tube and there is not a lot of room to maneuver with the reef, so it made for a crowded swim area. I was wishing for mechanical failure but no such luck.

Best feature: The people, the people, the people. And the potcakes.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
65 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 6/29 - 7/9

Lovely report. I cannot believe its been a week since that storm! Still would rather be there, storm or not.

Thanks for your advice prior to our trip as well!

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 6/29 - 7/9

Wonderful report! I can tell you had a wonderful trip.

I'm glad you enjoyed the stewed fish for breakfast at The Buccaneer Club! I can't wait to have some more.

Tell me more about the Blue Room please. I have never been there, but always tempted. Can you get a beer with your chicken? What else do they have?

Virginia
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 6/29 - 7/9

The Blue Room was as wonderful as we had heard. First of all, it is completely blue, inside and out. My husband had on a blue shirt and blue swim trunks. You could only see his face and hands. We ordered take out for lunch. They say the fried chicken (no baked chicken) is the best on the island and I think they are right. The chicken snack was fried chicken and french fries. We ordered the chicken dinner with two sides (mac 'n cheese and green salad, but there were others) for $12. The snack was less but I'm not sure of the price. I believe they also had meatloaf that day. Quite a few locals were picking up take out which seemed like a good sign to me. They had lots of ice cream treats. I didn't see any beer but I didn't really look for it. The place was simple but very clean and the staff was friendly.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 6/29 - 7/9

Thank you so much L for your report, it fed me in the best way. Also THANK YOU for all the other things you have shared, your the BEST! Only thing, when did you go to The Blue Room, everytime we have been by they were closed, bad timing I guess? Anyway, thanks again for all you've done for me & the potcakes, your terrific!

L,D Jet Ski, omg, i'm so sorry you had to experience that, REALLY SORRY! Oh, and thanks for the Nature Preserve info, sounds like a must do!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 6/29 - 7/9

where did you stay?

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 6/29 - 7/9

Thanks for the tip on the Blue Room. WOW was it good! I will write a review. We just got unpacked after spending 3 weeks in Double Bay. After I shake off the malaise of being back, I will do some writing here. But I wanted to say thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the Blue Room is closed for the month of August every year for vacation, so we only got to eat there once.

8. Re: Trip Report 6/29 - 7/9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera