We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks of summer in Eleuthera - a trip report (sort of)

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks of summer in Eleuthera - a trip report (sort of)

July 23 - August 13, 2011

We aren't new to the island; this was our third time on Eleuthera this year, but never had we been there in July and August, a time when the pace is even slower, people even friendlier and certainly more talkative, and the wild summer fruits flourish in the hot sun and warm rains.

This time we never ventured to swim at any other beach than the one in front of Endless Summer at Double Bay. We started each day with a swim and probably made two more dips into the warm, nearly hot water each day. The Atlantic was mostly calm and the "Caribbean" was mostly rough in an interesting switch. No shark or ray sightings this time, but many sea turtles passed by the house.

I really don't know where to begin, perhaps I should write separate entries about the amazing things we saw and felt. Now it seems like a summer haze. Does anyone want to know about these things? Mrs. Nottage at the Highway Department Store in Tarpum Bay? Donovan and Diane at the D&D Bar? Kino the bushman fisherman of Deep Creek? Scraps the Double Bay potcake that we could barely leave behind? The fruit: sugar apples, soursaps, sapodillys, cocoplums picked still wet from the rain (and the kids and people swarming over the bushes with their cheeks puffed out with them in their mouths,) guineps (pronounced locally as "ka-naps,") sweet watermelon, and mangos? How about buying fresh lobster from the deaf mute fisherwoman? Spider crabs anyone? The humour of Mate at Mate and Jenny's (there is a guinep tree right next to it, by the way.) The rare opening of Cigatoo for a wedding, also serving as the stand in kitchen and dining room for the Buccaneer Club during "cleanup week.?" Sky Juice? The Blue Room? (I wrote a review of it here.) Conversations with Hesley at Windchimes and Kevin at Kel-D's? Doctor Seabreeze sitting in for Elliot in the band with Cisco at Tippy's? The magnificent sight of Elliot in a mourning suit? The hospitality of Chantel at Ship to Shore in Wemyss Bight? Land Crabs in the sun after the rain? My wife feeding toast to a rooster who took it from her hand? The little kids who scampered away to search for and return giggling after picking me one more branch of guineps?

Oh those warm memories of sweet summertime in Eleuthera don't even scratch the surface of what we saw and felt this time.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks of summer in Eleuthera - a trip report (sort of)

Like :)

Virginia
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks of summer in Eleuthera - a trip report (sort of)

Please tell us everything. And don't leave out a single detail -- especially anything relating to Dr. Seabreeze. Thank you.

daisytown
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks of summer in Eleuthera - a trip report (sort of)

Wow you got my attention, we have Endless Summer reserved for May. I am thrilled that there are turtles off shore , definately one of my favorite things in the sea. Was the snorkeling good there, how far from shore. I know you loved the house from our previous conversation, I cannot wait.

nancy

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks of summer in Eleuthera - a trip report (sort of)

I love it, just perfect!

Waitsfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks of summer in Eleuthera - a trip report (sort of)

I love it, just perfect!

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks of summer in Eleuthera - a trip report (sort of)

Quit teasing, more please:)

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks of summer in Eleuthera - a trip report (sort of)

I own property there, and have never been down in the summer. Due to your wonderful report, I am going down there next year!

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks of summer in Eleuthera - a trip report (sort of)

Welcome GC, i'm jealous (of course) but happy to hear you will be going back more often now. Cheers

mississippi
Level Contributor
86 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks of summer in Eleuthera - a trip report (sort of)

Loved your report but curious about something. I didn't know you could buy lobster in the summer. I thought it had to be during a particular season. Am I wrong?

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 weeks of summer in Eleuthera - a trip report (sort of)

Lobster season is August 1st - March 31st.

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera