We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Irene

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Hurricane Irene

Updates regarding the Hurricane Watch would be appreciated. Please fill us in on the aftermath of the storm.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Irene

Everyone think positive thoughts, go North and East Irene! I know we all want it to spare the beautiful island of Eleuthera and the rest of the Bahamas! Be safe everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Irene

I just had a look at the 2:00 pm update to the forecast and the track has moved north from last night. Last night the track was just about over Nassau and now it is forecast to go directly over Eleuthera. Hopefully Irene will continue to turn north earlier than forecast as it looks bad right now.

Stay safe everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,789 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Irene

Dave what do you think will happen to Eleuthera?

Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Irene

Any more updates? Is it there right now?

Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Irene

Having seen the waves near the Glass Window during a "regular" storm.... I can't imagine their frigtening magnificence (mal-ifecence?) during this one. I can't help but think that bridge will be gone in a day.

Edited: 24 August 2011, 17:23
Mentioned in this post
Glass Window
Glass Window
463 Reviews
Eleuthera
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Irene

Got this from another forum. If you go to this site and enlarge the map, you will see the track over Eleuthera near Governor's Harbor.

Storm pulse 2011 then click on Hurricane Irene 2011.storm pulse/Hurricanes

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Irene

I should have said projected path.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane Irene

Michele, Irene is over the central Bahamas right now, has strengthened to a Cat 3 and is still forecast to become a Cat 4. Winds are picking up on Eleuthera this afternoon and it is not going to be a pleasant night. It is still forecast to be centered over Eleuthera tomorrow morning breakfast time.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
starsparkles
Level Contributor
232 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Irene

for anyone who cares, i telephoned the cocodimama resort this morning (their reservations line is in florida, i think), and they told me that staff has evacuated. just hearing about a storm surge and looking at the satellite photo of cocodimama, i feel a lot better knowing it is empty right now.

Edited: 25 August 2011, 02:50
Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane Irene

The storm path map is amazing. And scary. After Irene hits Eleuthera, my other favorite island is in the bull's eye - Ocracoke, NC. This time last week we there, the ocean was green and clear as an emerald. But the US is much better prepared to cope with something like this than the Bahamas. I'm praying for the best for everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Ocracoke
Ocracoke
Outer Banks, NC
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean