We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report October 8-15

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report October 8-15

We flew JetBlue (nice airline) to Nassau and spent one night at Orange Hill which was fine. We flew Pineapple Air to GHB on Sunday. We bought a case of Kalik at the Nassau airport and Pineapple checked it for us as we weren't sure what would be available on Sunday.

We stayed in the apt. at Heron Hill in North Palmetto Point. Very clean and spacious. Awesome view, pool and gardens. Wonderful caretakers and the owners are great to deal with. Very good price for the apt. The beach had lost a lot of sand from the storm but you could still walk far each way. Amazing cliffs and coves right below the house. We never saw anyone on our beach or down the beach in either direction the entire week. The weather never interfered with our plans; but the surf was rough on our beach the first several days, so we headed out to explore the island. The Elusive Beaches book was in the apt. and we gave that thing a workout. Without a GPS it would only have been slightly helpful. Many, many signs were down on the island.

3 times we were asked for a ride. Once from an old man taking crabs he just caught (they were in a box) to town. Once from two very clean cut, polite teenagers, and once from a couple who just dropped off their truck for repair. Each time we enjoyed the company and the conversation.

What we were able to see and do in 5 1/2 days:

French Leave Beach - explored Club Med ruins

Alabaster Beach – happy hour on the Carribean side

Twin Sisters Beach - snorkeled around the rocks

Ten Bay Beach - got a jellyfish sting - vinegar saved the day!

Tay Bay Beach - easy to find - it was perfect - my favorite

Savannah Sound - twice - high tide and low tide

Poponi Beach – trees are decorated with beach trash down by the public beach access

Whale Point Beach – found old resort steps leading to beach – lots of seaglass

Bottom Harbour Beach - shady

Twin Cove Beach, Airport Beach, Cotton Bay Beach

Preacher's Cave - Jock Morgan was there and gave us a tour - nice man (watch out for the bees!)

The Cow and Bull

Whale Point - walked all the way to the point- could see Harbour Island

Glass Window Bridge - found the blow hole - it was going crazy - very cool

Queen's Bath - very high waves - couldn't stop watching the show

The Boiling Hole - near Glass Window

Ocean Hole - fed the fish

Tried to find the Gulley Hole - found the old airstrip instead

Sky Beach – had a drink and dipped our toes in the pool

Tarpum Bay - bought fish and lobster – cooked at home twice – so much fun

Cape Eleuthera – it was closed – talked to the caretaker for a long time

Lannie's Take Away in NPP - very good lobster salad

Buccaneer Restaurant – good food- sweet waitress

Sammy's in Rock Sound - twice -LOVED the way they do the lobster – lovely people

Bakery in Governor's - got breakfast for the drive north

Tippy's – we felt like we had to try it, but we preferred the more authentic local places

Sunset Inn – concenient location – great view- my favorite

Fish Fry – had to leave early to get up at 5am to fly home

Surprises:

Heron Hill is like a botanical garden on a small scale. Every night we would go out on the patio to look at the stars, and every night we would be visited by many large black butterflies (moths?) that would flutter around us and land on us as if they were curious about us. They also flapped at the windows at night. We never saw them during the day. We called them the night fliers.

One day we came home after a day of exploring and there was a beautiful double rainbow out over the atlantic.

One day we were walking on Poponi Beach and a cruise ship was going by. All of a sudden we could see many, many camera flashes going off at the same time. It was if the captain made an announcement about the beautiful beach on the port side of the ship. We felt very fortunate to be on the beach rather than on the cruise ship.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report October 8-15

Lovely trip report...it sure did make me want to start planning a return VERY soon. Thanks for posting.

Ontario
Level Contributor
312 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report October 8-15

Sounds like a wonderful time! Thank you posting your trip report. You sure did see a lot in 5 1/2 days!

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report October 8-15

Thanks for the trip report, you had a busy week. Did you notice how Cocodimama looked when you went to Alabaster Beach? They had a lot of water during Irene and I was thinking of making a reservation there for the holidays.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report October 8-15

Hi Dave,

It was closed but maybe they were just on break. No one was around. It looked a little roughed up. Missing shingles, landscaping, etc. We didn't walk right up to it. Cute place though.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report October 8-15

Were you allowed to use the pool just renting the apartment if the main house was unoccupied? I rented the main house the year before the pool. Thinking about going back and just renting the apartment as the house itself is now out of my price range. There were only 3 of us then & we splurged. Loved the house, grounds, and deserted beach. Did the grounds appear to suffer much damage?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report October 8-15

You do get to use the pool when you rent the apartment. The gounds were coming back nicely. We would see groundskeepers working when we left in the mornings.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
314 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report October 8-15

Wow you packed a lot into a one week vacation!!!! Although it looks like you have to start planning your next trip to Eleuthera--you didn't go to Lighthouse Beach!

I love the "All of a sudden we could see many, many camera flashes going off at the same time."--do people not realize their flash doesn't travel that far???

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report October 8-15

I know!!! My dad said the same thing. Maybe some camera flashes go off automatically when it's getting late in the day...which it was at that time. We did see a lot on our short visit, but we missed a lot too. In addition to LH Beach, we missed Island Farms, the Coconut Forest and the Levy Nature Preserve. Great reasons to go back as soon as possible!

Sorry I forgot to post correctly with just the title first, then another post with the report. :(

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report October 8-15

What the owner of Heron Hill just wrote to me in an email.

"The night flying moths you saw are called Money Bats because their wings have markings that look like money. If one lands on you it is supposed to mean that you will have good luck and lots of money."

I'll let you know when the money starts rolling in. :)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report October 8-15

bythesea12 - was Cape Eleuthera closed as in all the time closed, or just that day or time? I was planning to go there in two weeks for lunch and some snorkeling. Thanks for any info you might have about it.