We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 1st Trip need ideas and advice

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Our 1st Trip need ideas and advice

We are planning our 1st trip to Eleuthera in mid March, 2012. We already have our lodgings and rental vehicle booked. Now comes the hard part. We are planning on eating in most mornings and spending about half the time relaxing and snorkeling at our rental. That leaves us with about 4 days to explore, most evenings to eat out and several mid day meals out. What would everyone reccommend as must sees', must do's and resturants we just have to eat at. We're not into partying just want to expierence the Eleuthera way of life. Any help and advice is appreciated.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 1st Trip need ideas and advice

I've only been to mainland Eleuthera

on a one day excursion. I've been to

Harbour Island six times on one day

excursions via the Bahamas Ferry

from Nassau.

Take the water taxi from N. Eleuthera

over to H.I.. It is gorgeous and quaint.

Rent a golf cart for about $50 for the

day right at the Govt. Dock and explore.

Pink Sands Beach is breathtaking.

On the way to H.I. stop at the Glass

Window Bridge and enjoy the 360

degree panorama view of the ocean

and 'bay' side. That was spectacular

when I stopped there this past May.

You can see many photos of GWB at

Google Earth.

Edited: 07 December 2011, 15:49
Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 1st Trip need ideas and advice

My must sees would include Lighthouse Beach (with a stop at Ocean Hole) and Harbour Island. They are at opposite ends of the island, so between the two, you will see all of Eleuthera. Pack a lunch & water and make a day at Lighthouse. Be sure to stop if you see something interesting along the way.

If "your" beach is windy or choppy, go the other side of the island for the day. I dont; know where you are staying, but some of my favorite beaches are Ten Bay, Alabaster, Twin Coves.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
881 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our 1st Trip need ideas and advice

We loved the Queen's Baths. We loved Club Med Beach, Poponi, Alabaster and Twin Sisters. My favoite beach was Tay Bay near Preacher's Cave. We loved just driving and being surprised by the wonder of it all. Read my trip report. Also, do a search for must sees. I asked the same question before we went and got lots of replies. We stayed on Harbour Island last year. You should go if you can manage it. You won't get from place to place as fast as you'd like. Everything takes time. You'll probably want to go back, so don't worry if you don't get to see it all.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
314 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our 1st Trip need ideas and advice

I sent you a PM with some links and what our plans are for our next trip.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our 1st Trip need ideas and advice

We are staying at 2 Sisters. It's just north of Savannah Sound if that helps you any Nashpam.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our 1st Trip need ideas and advice

That does help, as Harbour Island will really be a haul for you. But Lighthouse is close, and so beautiful. Ten Bay is close too. The northern half of the island is very different from the southern. The north tends to be rockier, lots of black rock that looks like volcanic rock (but isn't), lots of scrub. The southern end is more typically tropical looking, with taller palms, sandy crescent beaches. Both are beautiful, worth exploring.

There is a book, out of print, called The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera. Google it, they used to have a website with great info about the many beaches. Many beach houses keep a copy for guests.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
14 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our 1st Trip need ideas and advice

Stop by Island Farms if you need a good map..$10. We visited several beaches. Ten bay, Rainbow bay, Alabaster were all great. Lighthouse beach is a must see! Club Med on Atlantic side is very nice. Snorkeling was good at N. Palmetto, Rainbow, and Alabaster. Stop by Sky Beach resort and they will let you use pool and they have a nice restaurant and beach. We usually ended up on a Caribbean beach cause the wind was pretty strong on Atlantic side. We stayed at N. Palmetto Point. When you see a dirt road, take it and usually you will end up at some beautiful beaches!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our 1st Trip need ideas and advice

Hi ... just to clarify some previous info ...

Lighthouse Beach is indeed a "must see", but it's not "close" to your rental -- it's a long haul down there, research it, leave early, pack a cooler, don't go unless you're driving a vehicle with good tires and decent ground clearance, such as an SUV or a truck.

"Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera" isn't really out of print, it's widely available at island shops. If you want to study ahead, you can get an electronic copy or a DVD copy from their website, or from Amazon -- just Google the book title, you'll find it. Worth the investment, but check first to see if there's a copy available at your rental, that'd save you the cost.

Have fun ...

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our 1st Trip need ideas and advice

Lots of good ideas already, but if you go to Lighthouse Point Beach, do stop at Cape Eleuthera and visit the Cape Eleuthera Institute and Island School. What an incredible place for sustainability, marine and land research and they give tours of the facility. And do stop for a conch salad on the way back at Rock Sound's Four Points as well as the ocean hole (take some bread for the fish). Governor's Harbour offers a nice dose of "civilization" island style and the Friday night fish fry is worth stopping by for.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our 1st Trip need ideas and advice

Four Points closed last year. Reopened with new owners, now called Pascal's.

Old Four Points owners now running a place in Tarpum Bay. Forget the name, it's where Papa George's Pizza used to be.

I think we need a scorecard.