We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time questions

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time questions

Going to Eleuthera for the first time in April! Can't wait. I've been reading thru the forum to get as much information as i can. But i do have a couple of questions, i hope someone can help with.

What kind of beer is readily available in the stores other than Kalik?

Have you seen beach umbrella's sold anywhere or should i plan on bringing one?

For those that have stayed at Tropical Heights, i've read about the beach situation there, but wondering if there is any place along the beach there to jump in and cool off or is it all too rock for any kind of swimming?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time questions

Can't help you with the beer question, my husband only drinks Kalik. There's also Sands which is another Bahamian beer. I'm pretty sure you can get imports but they will be more expensive.

I've never looked for beach umbrellas but if they are sold at Eleuthera Supply, they will probably cost and arm and a leg. I looked at a floor fan and it was $75!

We stayed just down the road from Tropical Heights back in October. There should be a break in the inner reef either to the north or south (Oceanaire is the same way) but at high tide you shouldn't have any trouble entering at any point on the beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time questions

Ironically, you should be able to find a fair number of US domestic beers and imports -- Miller Lite, Heineken, etc. But as jungledriver said they will be more expensive. A case of Kalik was something like $46 in December, so I couldn't imagine spending even more than that! Kalik and Sands also make light versions, which I found to work just fine, especially with a slice of lime. And remember, rum is dirt cheap :) You will likely be able to find an umbrella on the island but it will be pricey. We bought one for something like $60 during our trip in 2009, so if you have one I would certainly bring it. Your rental may have an umbrella as well.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time questions

Wow $60 for an umbrella! Do the beaches provide much shade?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time questions

It just depends (I know that's not so helfpul). I think typically the caribbean side beaches have more shade.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time questions

Thanks for your replies.

On another thought, my wife enjoys red wine with dinner, is wine readily available or should we plan on bring a bottle or two?

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time questions

Plenty of good wine available. Best selection is at the liqour store on Cupid's Cay in Governor's Harbour.

Ontario
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time questions

Hi nbchiller,

If your wife is really particular about her red wine, it can be hit or miss. We generally fly down with a couple of bottles of decent wine as a safety, but always hit Bristol's in Cupid's Cay that Dave mentioned. They have the best selection of wines. "Bargain" red wines can be found sometimes - they might have a sale on certain wines (OK bargain for me from Ontario because we get ripped off on the prices of alcohol here). Because of the heat, sometimes wine can be "off" but keep your receipt, and Bristol's can refund or exchange your wine if it is. If you are ok with Yellowtail, you can find it for around $10 at Pyfroms. I know that is probably double the price that you might find it for in the US, but again being from Ontario, that is considered cheap for us - it is $11.95 here :) You can find some nicer wines at the Bahama Coffee Company at Cape Eleuthera - I found a Duckhorn and a Cuvaison there. But all in all, Bristol's is definitely our favourite place for wine in Eleuthera. We've had some good luck finding decent priced white wines down there. We too prefer red wines, but with the heat, we find the white wines very refreshing when we're there in paradise.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First time questions

On Long Island we have found plenty of good red table wines, Chilean, US and even French - cabernet, merlot, pinot noir, malbec, etc. Many for sell under $10, and very few for more than $20. They probably won't make the Wine Spectator list, but many are quite acceptable for table wines.

For beer, we have found some common US brands to be available - Bud Light, Heineken, etc. (I know, Heineken is theoretically German) - but they are definitely more expensive than the Bahamian beers. Local brews I've seen are Kalik, Sands, High Rock, and Strongback (stout). Sands is available in regular and light, Kalik has 3 grades, Gold, regular, and light.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time questions

Thank you all. Great information. It sounds like we will be able to find something that we like well enough.

Btw- what exactly is a rum bubba?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time questions

No one knows for sure but the bartenders! Just watch out, they are strong. Although someone will probably come behind me and spoil the fun with some sort of recipe. To me, it's not the same unless it comes from the Governor's Harbour Friday night Fish Fry or Homecoming. Yummmm

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera