We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Box Wine Available in Rock Sound

North Carolina
Level Contributor
121 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is Box Wine Available in Rock Sound

We are flying into Rock Sound in May in our own plane to board a charter sailboat. We really like to have box wine on the boat since the plastic "box" is so much more sailboat-friendly as opposed to glass bottles. Can you buy box wine at the grocery store in Rock Sound? If not, will I be able to bring a box with me? I see the customs list says 1 qt. wine and 1 qt. spirits. With the two of us, the 5 liter box would be over that amount.....we will be actually clearing customs at Rock Sound.

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Box Wine Available in Rock Sound

I haven't seen box wine here in Nassau, although I haven't looked for it. So I would guess it's harder to find on the out islands. Also, wine, liquor, and beer are not sold in grocery stores....only liquor stores. As far as customs actually checking what quanity your flying in with, well that all depends on how diligent the customs agent is that checks your stuff. Many turn a blind eye on lots of stuff, except of course on any contraband.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Box Wine Available in Rock Sound

You cannot buy alcoholic beverages in grocery stores in Eleuthera, you have to buy them in liquor stores, which are not open on holidays or Sundays. There are several liquor stores in Rock Sound, so you should be fine. Call ahead.

Sturrup's Liquor Store 242-334-2219

Burns House Rock Sound 242-334-2250

They will be closed at 5:00PM

Good luck and have fun!

Temple Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Box Wine Available in Rock Sound

seems to me I have seen box wine in RS store this year,,

Not what i would buy but hey what ever drives your ? Go for it

North Carolina
Level Contributor
121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Box Wine Available in Rock Sound

Thanks for the numbers - I didn't realize they separate groceries and liquor. I will call them to find out. Just curious - are calls to 242 area code expensive from East Coast US? (Wonder if they're free on Verizon Wireless like most long distance?)

Virginia
Level Contributor
159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Box Wine Available in Rock Sound

We call Governors Harbor on Verizon from Virginia and it is about a dollar a minute. Not bad at all.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Box Wine Available in Rock Sound

If you use a prepaid account on Skype, you can call a non-Skype phone in the Bahamas for 11 cents a minute. I've been using that for several years now, dealing first with the valuation office in Nassau, and then with our builder and other services on Long Island when we started construction on our home there. It's the best deal going for international calling if you don't have some sort of unlimited service.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 05:02
North Carolina
Level Contributor
121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Box Wine Available in Rock Sound

Skype is an excellent idea! I didn't think of that, but I have an account. I'll use it and report back with my results.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Box Wine Available in Rock Sound

Update - I called Sturrups Liquor Store on Skype - they do have 4 varieties of box wine - and it's about $19 per box which is not bad at all!

Westfield...
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Box Wine Available in Rock Sound

They sell Kalik in case which is sort of a cheap box,readily available just about anywhere.

10. Re: Is Box Wine Available in Rock Sound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera