We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is nassau a hassle; is it worth the extra $ to go FLL to GHB

RI
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
is nassau a hassle; is it worth the extra $ to go FLL to GHB

Looking for opinions and suggestions. We are planning our return trip to Eleuthera for next year. Going over flight options and trying to come us with the most efficient (time/money) flight plan for our group of 6 adults 2 babies. A few weeks ago my husband and I flew fll to ghb. Timing for flight over was good; flight back was delayed (Continental) so we hung out at Cocodimama. Not so bad for just the 2 of us. So my questions:

Is Nassau a nightmare to get through as compared to FLL and GHB? Are flight delays just as common? GHB was such a joy and FLL was ok. We would be going BOS to NAS non-stop. Long line through customs in FLL as a bunch of planes had all just landed (Wednesday afternoon).

We have considered private charter too, i just haven't found one for the right price.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is nassau a hassle; is it worth the extra $ to go FLL to GHB

we've been through Nassau 5 times and never had a problem (knock on wood). One flight home was cancelled (Bahamas Air) but we still made it back home about an hour and a half later than the original flight.

From Boston, don't you get really good direct fares to Nassau on Jet Blue? For me, its about savings but it is just my husband and I. If we were delayed I'd much rather be people watching in Nassau than FLL.

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is nassau a hassle; is it worth the extra $ to go FLL to GHB

I go in/out through Nassau about 4 times a year, it's no particular problem. Right now, on arrival, there's a *long* hike from where you get off the plane over to immigration/baggage/customs, but that's due to construction. (Best to have your carry-ons on wheels. New facilities supposed to open in November.)

But that's about the biggest problem, other than waiting for your connecting flight. I've gone in/out through FLL, too, and a couple of times hit *monster* lines at US immigration. (Usually when folks complain about the long lines on re-entry it's at immigration, not customs. Customs usually is a breeze.)

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is nassau a hassle; is it worth the extra $ to go FLL to GHB

Jet Blue to Nassau is easy enough (and usually cost effective). Take the earliest flight you can -- even if it means changing planes at JFK. Then taking a flight from Nassau to Governor's Harbour is easy enough. (Is this the airport closest to your accommodations? There are 3 aiports in Eleuthera -- North Eleuthera, Governor's Harbour and Rock Sound)

I seem to have the best luck with Pineapple Air (bookable online), though Southern Air, and Bahamas Air fly here as well. The flights back are often early (7-8am or so), which are usually on time and will get you back to Nassau in plenty of time for your flight back to Boston.

For me, it would be the sheer joy of not having to deal with immigration and customs lines on returning to the US. Those are not pretty. You clear US immigration and customs in Nassau, so you are then free to walk out the dorr in Boston with no further formalities.

On arrival into Nassau, those that are going on to out islands the same day, there is an "In transit/Out Island" lane at immigration that is reserved only for those passengers to expedite things. This is the line second from the right in the hall. Of course, being expedited along is nice, but waiting for luggage can be a hassle at times -- especially when several flights arrive at once.

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is nassau a hassle; is it worth the extra $ to go FLL to GHB

We just got back from Lutra and had no issues going through Nassau. I agree with the previous poster...biggest pain was waiting for baggage. Not sure what the deal was...but it took us at least 30-40 mins to get our bags. Other than that, it was a breeze. And clearing through US Customs on the way back home was easy too.

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
5. Re: is nassau a hassle; is it worth the extra $ to go FLL to GHB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:42