We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Blue Palms (4/7/12 - 4/14/12)

Virginia
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report - Blue Palms (4/7/12 - 4/14/12)

Posted this trip report on the Eleuthera4U board but wasn't sure if everyone visited there.

Trip report from our recent vacation in Eleuthera from April 7 through April 14th.

My wife and I have been to Eleuthera twice before and fell in love with the island. For Spring Break this year we wanted to bring our 3 boys with us and also invited my brother in law, his wife, and their 2 daughters.

Previously, we have stayed at Bonefish Barbi’s and have loved the house and location but with the 9 of us coming, we needed something with at least 4 bedrooms. We booked Blue Palms for our trip as we liked the location, it was big enough for us, and the pool would be good to have if the ocean was rough.

Doug and Gwen

Richmond, Virginia

Virginia
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Blue Palms (4/7/12 - 4/14/12)

Saturday

We woke up early for a 7:00 AM flight out of Richmond connecting through Charlotte into Nassau. All the flights were on time and we landed in Nassau around noon. Zipped through customs in minutes, grabbed the complimentary rum punch, found our luggage, and made our way to the Pineapple Air counter for our flight to Governor’s Harbour. We tried to hire someone to carry the ton of luggage we had with us but they were all claimed. So if you see a porter when you are in the luggage area, grab him quickly.

We had a couple hours before our flight so we had a drink at the airport bar and the kids had lunch at Wendy’s. We booked our flights to GHB with Pineapple air and there were 2 flights going out this afternoon. For some reason we had our group split between both flights with one going directly to Governor’s Harbour and the other connecting through North Eleuthera.

If you fly Pineapple Air, watch your head. The planes seat 20ish people and you have to bend in half to walk down the aisle. For some reason on our plane, there is a metal strip across the roof just inside the door and of course I smashed my hairless head into the strip. I was the last person on the plane and the last seat was in the very back so I had to walk the length of the plane, bent at the waist, with blood streaming down my head and dripping off my nose. When I finally got to the back, another passenger starting pulling out all kinds of medical stuff and I was worried that he was going to stitch me up on the flight over.

Nice way to start the trip for sure!

My family arrived in Governor’s Harbour after the 20 minute flight and met up with Stanton Cooper to pick up our Jeep and Expedition. Since someone needed to wait on the rest of our group to arrive on the later flight, my wife and boys took the jeep and I spent the next hour hanging out with Stanton and a few other guys outside the airport. It was a nice way to start the vacation with lots of lively conversation.

With everyone on island now, we headed into town for food/drinks and then went to Blue Palms. Before leaving home, we had arranged to have dinner delivered. We have done this twice now and would highly recommend it on your arrival day. We had conch fritters, fried fish, rice & peas, macaroni & cheese, and desert. It was excellent and we had plenty of leftovers.

Long day of traveling but we were happy to be in Eleuthera again and looking forward to the coming week.

I tried to take pictures of everything we did this week and I have divided them according to the day taken to add a visual to the daily journal.

Here’s the link to pictures from Saturday. Click on “Show info” to see the description of where the picture was taken during the slideshow.

flickr.com/photos/…

Edited: 17 May 2012, 02:05
Virginia
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Blue Palms (4/7/12 - 4/14/12)

About the pictures, I took hundreds of pictures but mostly included ones that showed what we were doing and not landscape shots. I can't do justice to all the pictures shown on this site and always wished everyone would show more pictures of themselves enjoying Eleuthera along with the scenery pics.

Virginia
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Blue Palms (4/7/12 - 4/14/12)

Sunday

Easter morning and I wanted to make sure that I caught our first sunrise of the week but the skies were overcast and the rising sun was a little obscured. My wife and sister-in-law wanted to go for a morning run and had picked out a route along the Atlantic north of Governor’s Harbour. We drove them to Knowles Road off of Queen’s Highway. This is the location of Bonefish Barbie’s so my wife knew the route well from our previous trips to Eleuthera. We picked them up just south of Club Med beach 90 minutes later.

We attended Easter church service at Wesley Methodist Church in North Palmetto Point. Nice service and we felt very welcome as many in the congregation came over to meet us and say thanks for coming.

For the rest of the day, we went on beach walks, swam in the pool, took out the kayak, and went snorkeling. The water temperature was perfect for swimming but it was pretty cloudy from the wind blowing hard earlier so visibility wasn’t very good.

We had made reservations for dinner tonight at Cocodimama’s before we left Virginia. We had an excellent meal and having Dr. Seabreeze playing made it even better.

Sunday Pictures:

flickr.com/photos/…

Virginia
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Blue Palms (4/7/12 - 4/14/12)

Monday

The Expedition was running low on gas so I went into Governor’s Harbour for a fill up. I knew the price per gallon was over 6 bucks but was a little shocked to spend $150 to fill up the tank!

We had booked a trip with Eleuthera Tours for conch diving, fishing, and snorkeling so we headed out to Cape Eleuthera where we met Donald and one of his son’s for our tour. First on the agenda was conch diving. The ocean floor was littered with conch and our boys had a great time loading up the boat with shells. Also a lot of starfish and sand dollars were on the ocean floor.

Next, we did a little hand line fishing but didn’t have a lot of action. Caught a few but the sharks were taking the fish before we could pull them up. Donald took a fish and dropped it behind the boat with a heavy rod and reel setup and promptly caught one of the sharks. That was pretty exciting for the boys. After fishing, we went to the 4th Hole Beach area and had lunch and did some snorkeling. Kristel met us there to check on us and her parents were there also. Had a nice conversation with her dad while the kids swung on the tree swing, snorkeled, and laid in the sun.

We headed back into the harbor and while Donald was cleaning the fish nurse and bull sharks showed up and put on a show for us feeding on the scraps. It was getting late so we gave Kristel’s dad a backpack full of school supplies to distribute and headed back toward Governor’s Harbour.

We stopped by Rosie’s Northside Inn on the off chance that she was open for dinner but no luck as she wasn’t prepared for customers. But Rosie was very nice and gave the boys some mac and cheese and my wife got a Kalik and she refused to be paid for the food and drink. We told her we would be back on Thursday for dinner. She told us to check out the street party in Tarpum Bay for dinner so we stopped by for a few minutes and had some of the chicken they were cooking to tide us over until we got home.

Dinner tonight was at Mate & Jennies. This was our first visit to this restaurant and the pizza was excellent.

Monday Pictures:

flickr.com/photos/…

Virginia
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Blue Palms (4/7/12 - 4/14/12)

Tuesday

Didn’t make any plans for today as we knew we would be driving a lot on Monday but we managed to fill the day up pretty quickly. Went to Island Farms and picked up some delicious fresh baked bread for breakfast and spent the morning on the house beach fishing and taking walks. The water was very clear and calm today.

We’ve never had lunch at Sky Beach so we thought we would give it a try. The food was excellent and everyone enjoyed the pool and hot tub. The bed sized pool furniture would be a perfect place to take a nap. If you are headed from Sky Beach back to Governor’s Harbour, take the dirt road between the pool and beach. You will pass Twin Bay along the way which is a nice place to stop and see the unique shape of the beach. You can also check out the wrecked sailboat just to the south of the beach. What’s the story on that boat?

The kids had been collecting wood the past couple of days so tonight we had a bonfire on the beach. I think that will be a highlight of the kids trip as they truly enjoyed the night on the beach.

Tuesday Pictures:

flickr.com/photos/…

Virginia
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Blue Palms (4/7/12 - 4/14/12)

Wednesday

Today was Harbour Island day. Left around 9:00 AM and stopped at Surfer’s Beach along the way. After an hour at Surfer’s, we ventured further north and stopped at Pam’s Island Made gift shop to pick up souvenirs before completing the trip to HI. Took the water taxi over, picked up a couple golf carts, and drove to Avery’s for lunch. I would describe Avery’s as a local place as compared to the more touristy establishments on the beach. It was very good, a little slow for service but it gave the kids a chance to take turns doing golf cart rides around town.

After lunch, we drove to Pink Sand Beach and parked by Sip Sip’s to access the beach. Played some volleyball, threw Frisbees, and swam for a while. Decided to get a drink and we all walked down to the Blue Bar. Nice place to enjoy a drink and look over the ocean. Played some more volleyball after that and packed up to head back home.

On the way home we stopped by Rainbow Inn to check it out but didn’t have dinner. Looks like a nice place and we will have to eat there on a future trip. We timed the sunset perfectly by accident as we came in to Governor’s Harbour then grabbed some takeout pizza from Mate & Jenny’s and headed to the house.

Wednesday Pictures:

flickr.com/photos/…

Virginia
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Blue Palms (4/7/12 - 4/14/12)

Thursday

Went to the bakery in Governor’s Harbour to pick out some pastries for breakfast but there wasn’t much of a selection. Maybe we were there too early? We did pick up several meat and chicken pies that were very good.

I had booked a fishing trip this morning with Paul Petty so we met him at the dock at Cupid’s Cay at 8:30. He took 8 of us out to the reefs offshore from Governor’s Harbour. The water was very smooth so it made for a nice ride out. We caught a lot of different kinds of fish but Paul said it was a slow day of fishing but everyone had a great time. Sharks would show up at most spots when we stopped and you had to reel your fish in pretty fast or the sharks would get them.

We fished till noon and then headed to Lighthouse Beach for the afternoon. We stopped by Northside and gave Rosie our filleted fish and told her we would be back for dinner.

We spent several hours at LHB swimming, snorkeling, and playing Frisbee football. The water was calm and the tide was out so it was easy to walk around the big rock at the south end of the beach. Good place to take pictures.

It was getting late so we packed up and headed back to Rosie’s for dinner. The kids played with Teddy while Rosie fixed us a great meal. Highly recommend Northside and will make sure we come back on a future visit. Recommend calling a day ahead of time to make sure she is ready for you.

Thursday Pictures:

flickr.com/photos/…

Virginia
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Blue Palms (4/7/12 - 4/14/12)

Friday

Woke up to a cloudy and windy morning. This was the first day where the weather was not perfect but we didn’t mind. We had brought a basketball with us so we went to the court in Palmetto Point. There were a couple of kids there so we asked them to join us in 3 on 3 basketball game. We gave the local kids the basketball after we were done and they were pretty excited about that. My wife asked one of them if he had a basketball and he replied proudly with a big smile “No, but I have a tennis ball!”. When we drove by the court later, there was a big group of kids playing a game so I guess the word spread quickly. For a feel good moment and to make a kid smile, buy a basketball, deflate it so it fits in your luggage easily, and buy a cheap hand pump to inflate it when you get to Eleuthera. Then stop by a basketball court while you are driving around and find someone to give it to.

We spent the rest of the day packing for home and cleaning up while the kids played board games. We went in to Governor's Harbour for a little shopping and I went out to Cupid's Cay and sent out my first "message in a bottle". Hopefully someone will find it one day and contact me.

We had never been to the fish fry and were looking forward to it. The bike race was tomorrow and they were expecting a big crowd. But the weather was terrible and it was a very small crowd. We didn’t stay late as we knew we had an early flight home tomorrow.

Friday Pictures:

flickr.com/photos/…

Virginia
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Blue Palms (4/7/12 - 4/14/12)

Saturday

It’s sad to be leaving but we had a great vacation and everyone enjoyed the week. Headed to the airport very early and had an uneventful trip home. Another great trip to Eleuthera and look forward to our next time.

Blue Palms Review

We picked Blue Palms because there were 9 of us and we needed at least 4 bedrooms. The pool was an added attraction and we had never stayed on Banks Road so wanted to see what it was like. Everything was perfect about Blue Palms and exactly as advertised. The house was clean, had everything we needed, and the pool was great. I didn’t mention Blue Palms often during this trip report and instead talked about what we were doing each day. But it’s a great house and we would book it again if we needed a house this size.

Doug and Gwen

Richmond, Virginia

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Blue Palms (4/7/12 - 4/14/12)

Wonderful report and great photos- thanks, I really enjoyed the read!!

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera