We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip - Lots of Questions

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip - Lots of Questions

A group of 10 of us (30-35 yrs old) are looking to come down at the end of May next year. We think we have found a place near Governor's Harbor, which, after much research on this forum, seems to be the place to be. (1) Is this true? (2) Should we get a car for all 7 days we are there? (3) Do we need a 4WD, as we plan on exploring as much as we can. (3-a) Who can you recommed for a reliable rental? We like to fish, both on the reefs and off-shore. (4) Anyone have good recs for both? (5) True or false, we will need a license to fish from shore? Mixed info all over the forum. We will likely cook most of the meals at home. (6) Can someone give us some cost estimates on basic groceries (bread, condiments, bottled water, eggs, etc.)? (7) VERY IMPORTANT - How much is a case of beer? (8) Should we bring our own groceries, such as lunch meat, canned goods, potato chips, canned goods? (9) Will the surfing be any good that time of year? (10) How much cash should we bring per person, as it seems that cash is king down there? (11) Atlantic or Caribbean side? (11-a) Will it matter much? (12) How much bug spray is needed, and are they bad? (13) What are your "must dos"? (14) Anything else I am missing? Many thanks in advance for any information shared.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
330 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip - Lots of Questions

Governors perfect. Yes to car and four wheel. Try the top ten beaches as a start. Bring things like coffe etc.. Frozen steak and shrimp. Groceries are somewhat limited and expensive. Do search for guides for fishing. Paul petty is good. Beer is like 40 a case. Rum cheap and other spirits. Go to fish fry on Friday night. Relax and let the island take you where it may. There are ATMs .

Edited: 24 July 2012, 11:52
Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
330 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip - Lots of Questions

Yes to bug spray and it depends on wind if no seeums are a prob. It's dawn and dusk issue.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip - Lots of Questions

It would take a book to answer all those questions in-depth. Lemme take a rough swing at some:

1. Governor's Harbour/Palmetto Point area is central and handy to shopping, some of the better restaurants and some very nice beaches. It's a good place to be.

2. A car is necessary. 4WD usually is not necessary, but a vehicle with good ground clearance, like an SUV or a smaller GEO, is helpful. With 10 people, you're gonna need a couple of them.

3. I can recommend Naaman Rolle and Stanton Cooper for rentals; there are others who are good, too.

4. Paul Petty has a great rep as a fishing guide.

5. You do not need a license to fish from shore. If you go offshore with a licensed guide, his boat license will cover you.

6. As a very general rule of thumb, figure that groceries will cost about 2.5x what you'd pay in the States. Some staples aren't bad, but others, like dairy products, are very expensive. Potato chips might cost 3-4x what you're used to paying.

7. A case of Kalik is about $40. Other beers are available, prices vary, but not much below that.

8. No need at all to bring lunch meats and canned goods. Banks Road Deli has terrific fresh-sliced lunch meats, and packaged lunch meats are available in the stores. Canned goods are in abundance. Remember, 8K people live here year-round, including a fair number of expats, and nobody's starving.

9. I don't surf, can't answer that.

10. Bring a couple of hundred bucks apiece, supplement that as needed from the two ATMs in Governor's Harbour -- and remember that they dispense Bahamian dollars. Hard to say how much you'll need, depends on restaurant tabs, or if you charter off-shore fishing, etc.

11. Both sides of the island have their attributes, you can find plenty of discussion on that. It's also a function of weather, to some degree, and we can't predict that. It won't matter all that much, as you're never far from the other side. May is considered one of the finest months of the year to visit.

12. Bugs are a function of weather -- depends on how much rain recently and how steady the breeze is. Pack a can of Deep Woods Off apiece, you'll be fine.

DCA
Level Contributor
227 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip - Lots of Questions

I would want a car for everyday of the trip. Depending on which airport you fly into, the one way cost of a cab from the airport could cost you the same price as a rental for a day. You might also be able to get a better rate if you rent for a full week. I have also used Stanton Cooper recently. The car ran fine, but the dashboard had a few lights on and the overhead light never turned off. This sort of thing is common.

TRAVERSE CITY
Level Contributor
53 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip - Lots of Questions

You definately need a car. I recomment Godfrey Major out of Rock Sound/Tarpum Bay. Both of these towns are very close to RSD airport, which is the airport I always use.

The only things you can't get on the island are good steaks and prescription meds. I take my own cereal because cereal is light weight and super expensive on island. Things like butter, condensed milk are cheaper than the US. John Carey's grocery in Tarpum Bay has the best prices I've found, and I spend three months a year on island.

I take a loaded cash card. The Royal Caribbean bank in Gov. Harbor charges no ATM fees and money is converted w/o charge.

Take a couple bathing suits, 6 tees, 3 pr shorts and wear a light weight pair of pants and nice perma-press short sleeved shirt or blouse. I find that tee shirt dresses are the coolest for women.!

The people are super friendly and helpful. Waves for surfing shoud be good. Surfer's Beach is the best spot. Body surfing is available everywhere. I prefer the Caribbean side to live, a gentler sea. Take water/beach shoes.

Enjoy.

6. Re: First Trip - Lots of Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2012, 16:36
Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip - Lots of Questions

That DR solicitation is *way* out of bounds, by T/A rules ... recommend our destination experts try to get it scrubbed; I filed an "inappropriate content" protest, others should as well.

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip - Lots of Questions

If a case of beer is $40 how much is wine? And how cheap is the rum? :-)

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip - Lots of Questions

Rum is $10-12 average per bottle. We only drink rum in the islands :)

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip - Lots of Questions

Hi Masflo & welcome, my answers may differ from others but as far as meat goes I have found steaks in the freezer ( and Abaco Chickens) at Millard's in NPP (close to where you will be staying) that were wonderful. Just ask them, they will be happy to help you. Cheers

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera
Recent Conversations