We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Wells

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish Wells

We are headed to Eleuthera in a few weeks and would like your thoughts on visiting Spanish Wells. Been to HI.

We're staying in NPP, so we would be doing a day trip if we go.

Not looking for a high pressure day, just rent a golf cart and tour both SW and Russel (Sp?) if possible, with a stop for lunch somewhere. Of course we'll buy some goodies at the fishery to take back to the rental.

Also, is it true that SW is a dry island? Will we be able to have a beer with lunch?

Boy I ask a lot of questions lol.

Thanks for your input.

Annie

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Wells

Sp. Wells may very well be a 'dry' island. I took a little tour of it by foot after a day trip on the Bahamas Ferry in May 2011 to mainland Eleuthera. It's basically a residential area with commercial fishing operations all along the harbor side of the island. The ocean side has a flat shallow beach at least at low tide.

Why not rent a car on the Eleuthera mainland and look around? There are water taxi's at the Sp. Wells dock that take your over to Gene's Bay dock for 'free' if you arrive by the Ferry. I rented a car for $70 and rode down to the Glass Window Bridge area. What a spectacular view there. If you are interested in this idea I can tell your more about car rentals.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Wells

The poster says she is staying at North Palmetto Point, which is on "mainland" Eleuthera. This is not her first visit, as she also notes she has been to Harbour Island in the past.

Lunch choices will be limited, just a couple of small diner-like places. Nothing fancy, and dry unless you "know somebody."

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Wells

I did not know what NPP means. I thought it meant New Providence since she said she was going on a 'day trip'.

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Wells

Thanks Tigervette.

We're actually staying on the main island of Eleuthera, and having been there before, we're looking to do something new.

We will have a vehicle for 2 weeks, and I just thought that Sp. Wells would make an interesting day trip.

There is also supposed to be an uber exclusive enclave being developed on Russel Island which I see can be accessed by a bridge.

You know us tourists, love to see new sights, but really like to have an adult bevvie with our lunches too - hence the question about it being "dry".

Annie

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Wells

Annie, there's also a pretty good grocery store there, be sure to stop in, you might find some goodies that are hard to get elsewhere ...

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Wells

Thanks Dave:

BTW I asked Deb (SAS) to invite you for a beer with us if you are on island when we are. I understand we'll be neighbours this time.

Annie

Edited: 10 November 2012, 22:46
Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish Wells

Sure, gimme a shout or PM me ...

Ontario
Level Contributor
347 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish Wells

Hi Annie,

My best friend from childhood is named Annie and she lives in Alberta :)

I think the exclusive enclave you referred to might be on Royal Island, rather than Russell Island? http://royalislandbahamas.com

Spanish Wells is really dry. In all honesty, we were so underwhelmed, we left in around an hour. It is a pretty place, and there is a nice beach, the houses are quaint, but there isn't much to see at all. If you do go, you could stop at Preacher's Cave and Tay Bay beach which is on the way there. That would make the trip worthwhile. Here's the 1 minute video tour that I did of Spanish Wells https://vimeo.com/22010357.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spanish Wells

To clarify:

Russell Island is indeed an enclave just across a bridge from Spanish Wells.

Royal Island, a little to the west, is the site of a struggling new uber high-end development.

Edited: 11 November 2012, 00:09
Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish Wells

Hi Islandcoo - are you aka Rangoon girl of those fabulous videos? If so I watched the Sp. Wells one.

Funnily enough I went to college in Ontario, but I'm a good couple of decades older than you.

I appreciate your candour, we've been up that way before, maybe we'll just try to find the "elusive" Ben Bay.

Thanks, I'm getting really excited to be going back - it's been 3 years now.