We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touch of Class home/Transportation Questions

Gainesville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Touch of Class home/Transportation Questions

My fiancé and I are headed to Eleuthera for our honeymoon in late May of this year. We’ll be staying at Touch of Class in Little Bay - any recent visitors to this house out there? Having never been to the island before, I have become an avid reader of this forum throughout the past year and truly appreciate all of the helpful info I have found on here.

I started researching flights to GHB (closest airport to T.O.C.) from the Washington DC area and was just wondering if anyone has any tips for purchasing plane tickets. Would it be best to go ahead and buy now, or is there sometimes a big price fluctuation as you get closer to the date of the trip?

Another question I had was about car rentals – is it better to book in advance or wait until you get to the island? We'll be staying for a total of 8 days, but don't know if we need a car for the whole time. We plan to go out on some adventures but also spend some days close to the house . The owner of the house we are staying at recommended renting from either Stanton Cooper or Shaffeq Thomson. I have seen varying reviews on here of Stanton’s service, but mostly good. I could not find any reviews for Shaffeq - does anyone have experience working with Shaffeq or eleutheracarrentals.com?

Thanks so much for any help you may be able to offer to me in planning the trip of our dreams!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touch of Class home/Transportation Questions

Can't help you on the house rental. But I will suggest you have a car the entire time. How else are you going to get to/from the airport or how will you turn the car in if you don't want to keep it the whole time? The cars are almost always pick up/drop off at the airport but you need to be able to get to and from. Taxis are available but why the hassle to save a bit of $$? We've always used Clinton Knowles. His son works at the Southern Air counter at the airport so makes it pretty convenient. Isreal Johnson is also highly recommended. I would book in advance so the car will be there waiting for you.

As for airfare you can either fly into Nassau and take a domestic flight on Bahamas Air, Southern or Pineapple Air or you can fly into Florida and take a flight direct to GHB. We usually go through Nassau with no problems. I try to search using Priceline or Bing for the entire leg and then also by searching separately. Sometimes the price is better on priceline (only shows Bahamas Air) and sometimes it's better searching each domestic airline's website separate for the flight to/from GHB.

Eleuthera is not a super easy place to get to but it's so worth it.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 21:05
DCA
Level Contributor
227 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touch of Class home/Transportation Questions

I've flown out of DC to Eleuthera multiple times, through MIA, FLL, and NAS. With all these routes you have to watch your connection time as missing a flight may mean an overnight.

In my experience with booking well in advance, there's little fluctuation in the price for the final leg, whether it's MIA>ELH, FLL>GHB, or NAS>GHB/ELH. The originating flight would move a little though. The fares right now are only slightly higher than what I've paid in the past.

Gainesville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touch of Class home/Transportation Questions

Thanks so much; this is very helpful, and it does make sense to book a car for the eight days we are there. I found Clinton's telephone # on an older post from you, but would you mind messaging me either his or Israel's email addresses? Or is telephone their preferred method of communication?

I'm hoping I can find a flight option that gets us into Eleuthera as early as possible. A lot of the flights I see at first search arrive at GHB at 4:35pm. I'm thinking maybe I should expand my search parameters to include ELH as well? If we flew into that airport, would the car rental business owners differ?

Again, thanks for all your help. I tried to do as much research as possible on here before I started bothering everyone with my many questions. Eleuthera looks and sounds like a magical and beautiful place from everything I have read and seen!

DCA
Level Contributor
227 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touch of Class home/Transportation Questions

There are some car rental agents that work out of North Eleuthera. Others will meet you there, but charge a fee.

If you use the MIA>ELH connection, you arrive at 1:50pm but you have to drive about an hour to get to GHB. It's a nice drive and you'll pass many restaurants and sights you'll want to stop at later.

When you connect through Nassau, it's a good idea to allow a decent amount of time to collect your bags, go through customs and immigration, and walk to the domestic departures terminal. The time I flew through NAS, I planned on spending 4 hours there, but managed to get to the check-in counter quickly enough that I made the earlier flight and just paid the change fee. You could try to make one of the ~noon flights from NAS to GHB, but as with most of these routes, missing any connection leads to long delays. Be sure to travel with contact info for the house care taker and car rental agent in case something alters your plans.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Touch of Class home/Transportation Questions

Israel's email is johnsonscarentals@hotmail.com, and he seems pretty good about answering his email. I believe he charges $30 to pick you up at ELH. I don't have an email for Clinton Knowles.

American has switched to jets out of Miami to ELH so it only takes 40 minutes now, and you can have your luggage, be through immigration and out of the airport in 10 minutes. Avoid going through Nassau if you can avoid it.

Gainesville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touch of Class home/Transportation Questions

Great, thanks everyone for the tips and information! I will definitely book a flight that connects in Miami, seems to be the easiest route for us. I also think we will just fly into ELH rather and make the drive to the house we rented. I just noticed the previous post regarding car rental information out of this airport, how convenient. You guys are the best!

Edited: 07 January 2013, 20:23
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
229 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touch of Class home/Transportation Questions

I stayed at Savannah Sunset, which is the only other house visible from Touch of Class. It's a great spot, very quiet and pretty with views of a small island. Only negative that I can think of is that the last hurricane washed lots of seaweed onto the tiny beach at Little Bay.

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Touch of Class home/Transportation Questions

We spent our honeymoon at Touch of Class in 2010, before the renovations. I could not think of a more perfect house for a honeymoon, it was absolutely wonderful. The Little Bay beach is pretty small so if you want a sandy beach you will need to travel. The snorkeling is good along the rocky edges right in front of the house.

You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions about what Touch of Class was like 3 years ago.

london
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Touch of Class home/Transportation Questions

Hi there

I've just returned from a two day trip to Eleuthera (just posted a review)

I used www.BahamaGo.com to but my tickets from Nassau to GOvernors Harbour. They had all the local carriers listed on there so I didn't have to search around or call up. I think it was about $75 each way.

I hope this was helpful

10. Re: Touch of Class home/Transportation Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera