We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to eleuthra

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
trip to eleuthra

first time on here,but had to post!! we just got back from eleuthera island and we had such a wonderful time there,we stayed in ten bay and we rented a car from T&S car rental(tyronec38@hotmail.com) wonderful guy not advertising for him but on our trip we went to the light house point never seen such long road to get there but awsome then we tried the famous fish fry in governor's harbour, dance the night away and had two rum bubbas tasty, but we were there for three days so tryed to do as much as we could but we just gotta go back in december but don't know how the weather is during that time, want to know if it's cold or warm so we would know how to pack,but ten bay beach is wonderful not to many natives on the beach but quite and relaxing there. but we wanted to do more but our trip ran up to fast but once again eleuthera is fantastic, and my husband fell in love with the island now he's thinking about building or buying a house would like to know which is cheaper.

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to eleuthra

Buying or building property (as non citizen) here, is a logistical nightmare, unless you have big bucks to invest in such an undertaking. Its a huge process. And will involve reputable real estate lawyer, agents, and builders. Especially on any family island. Buying a home that's already built is the easier way to go, but your going to have to jump through all sorts of legal hoops to make it happen. Plus there is hurricane season every year. Are you prepared for homeowners insurance, and able to recover and repair damages from storms? Living in the Bahamas is a dream of many, but not as affordable or doable as many would think.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to eleuthra

I guess it helps if your last name is Copperfield, Winfrey, Connery, Cage, Templeton, Nygard, Griffin, Jordan, etc..

On April 14, 2010 Peter Nygard announced he was planning a $50 million renovation of Nygård Cay, which would take two years to complete and repair the damage (done by fire in 2009) and employ 200 construction workers.

The Cay is inspired by the Mayan civilization’s architecture. One of the major buildings is a 32,000 ft2 grand-hall with a 100,000 lb glass ceiling.

With a Net worth of over $800M, I guess Nygard qualifies.....

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to eleuthra

Deb: You jammed an awful lot of questions in that post and it would take a book-length response to answer them in detail.

Start with this: Go to www.hgchristie.com ... they're a reputable real estate firm throughout the Bahamas, with an office on Eleuthera. On the left side of the page, under "islands", click on Eleuthera on the drop-down menu. From there, you can search their portfolio of homes and building lots, and you can narrow the search by price range, location, etc.

If you decide to build, decent home would cost $200-$400/sq. ft., depending on the features you want, type of construction, level of built-ins such as tile, bathrooms, kitchen, etc. The fancier you get, the more it costs, of course.

If you decide to buy, the sky's the limit. You can find a decent 2-bedroom cottage with an ocean view in the $240K range, on up. Their website has nearly 50 homes on the Eleuthera market from $240-$500K. If you want something right on the beach, it goes without saying that will be much pricier. Roughly 3x as much, as a broad rule of thumb.

The process can be daunting, but having been through it, I'd describe it as far less than a nightmare, so long as you do your homework and deal with a reputable agent and attorney.

You do not have to be a mega-millionaire to live here ... but, as Bev points out, it can be more expensive than most folks realize. Utilities, import duties on just about anything you bring in, insurance ... it does add up. Just take a deep breath and start doing some research, ask whatever questions you like as you go along.

Good luck ...

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to eleuthra

Is that you again Tyrone?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to eleuthra

WD, I was wondering the same thing. And "not too many natives on the beach" What the heck does that mean?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to eleuthra

Having just recently closed on a house near Governors you will need to do your homework. As previously suggested get in contact with a local realtor like Christies or SIR. We followed the listings diligently and found after awhile a common thread was weaving through our wish list on the type of property, amenities, location etc . We also had a very knowledgable attorney recc by our broker who was located Nassau and very familiar with all the requirements for getting to purchase. You will require a plethora of documentation from back ground check from your police Dept, letter from your bank, letter of good standing from a clergy, or attorney. Once the happy moment of buying your piece of paradise it is NOT done... You then will need to learn the "How To'' keep Elect on BEC,, Keep telephone service on BTC sometimes requires some patience but as new homeowner and STILL finding my way .. and just take a breath and ask others on island so what is the best way to get this done! Do your homework take your time and Ihope to see you on island. Good luck.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: trip to eleuthra

Actually, real estate in the Bahamas can be an excellent diversified investment and carries many tax benefits (especially based on what's going on right now in the states). Find someone who bought real estate at the peak prior to the recession and needs to sell. Do the research and do your due diligence. Make sure you buy it right and that there is free and clear title to the property. Look for a hot area that willl bring rental income while you are not using your property. God is not making any more beachfront property. This all can be done with due diligence! Keep dreaming and go find your tropical paradies!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip to eleuthra

You sure you want to actually build on an island with so many "natives"?

I know people coming to Canada are often annoyed at the local native population crowding the beaches and other recreational areas.

Perhaps better to stay where you are the "native"? I'm assuming that is the mythical land of the infamous run on sentence.....

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip to eleuthra

When I responded in-depth to the original post, I did so without giving it a lot of thought -- but, looking back, I agree with WD, it may well be yet another "sock-puppet" post from Tyrone, trying to gin up trade for his rental-car business. In style, it looks suspiciously like his earlier posts, and the lack of response is telling.

And *nobody* down here with an ounce of sense or experience uses the word "natives."

*Loved* the line, " ... the mythical land of the run-on sentence." Hah! Well played ...

10. Re: trip to eleuthra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 07:17