We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Leave Beach Construction

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
918 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
French Leave Beach Construction

Hey,

My trip coming up in August just wondering if there is any building working going on or around French Leave Beach, I am staying at Casuarina Bay and will probably will be using this beach a lot. I have read that work has started on the Governors Harbour side. On another note how busy is Eleuthera mid Aug, a lot of tourists ? or not many at all ? Its strange I,am off to Nerja for 2 weeks on tuesday and not really giving it much thought all my attention seems to be on my trip to Eleuthera , i,am finding it intriguing.

Cheers.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Leave Beach Construction

Hi, Don ... I was down that road just yesterday, passed through Casuarina Bay, it was pretty quiet and the beaches were spectacular. Barely saw another soul, just someone staying at Med Point and a few tourists enjoying the water up around Sky Beach. There's a new house under construction down the road a ways, but it's not really near you. The French Leave construction, as you note, is on the other side of the island, nowhere near where you're staying. It won't impact you in the least.

There are a few tourists around in August, but it'll be fairly quiet on the island. Tippy's, etc., will be open through the end of the month, so you'll have a decent place for a night out and a good meal, if you're of a mind. Have fun ...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
918 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French Leave Beach Construction

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that, your description of the beaches at Casurina bay been spectacular sounds great and i think i have chosen a pretty good part of Eleuthera to stay if only for a week !

Cheers

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Leave Beach Construction

Hi Dave-

out of curiosity, what is being built at French Leave? Thanks for info.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French Leave Beach Construction

Hi, DnA ...

What's being built at the moment is part of Eddie Lauth's "French Leave" project, but it isn't really on French Leave Beach. It involves the old Club Med marina property over on the harbor at Governor's. (I know, all this French Leave vs. Club Med gets confusing. Club Med had docks, etc., over there for boat excursions, back in the day ...) Think of it as being across the harbor from where the cargo vessels and ferries tie up at Cupid's Cay.

They're building some hotel units and plan to put in a restaurant, new dock, etc. Coming into the settlement on Queen's Highway from the north, the site is on the right, on the water, just as you come over the hill and enter Governor's Harbour.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Leave Beach Construction

We were there last month staying on French Leave. We walked to Causarina Bay...beautiful! We searched for seaglass along the rocky point that separates French Leave Beach from Causarina Bay. You will absolutely love it. And like Dave said....the construction is no where near French Leave Beach.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: French Leave Beach Construction

Thanks, Dave. I think I can picture where you are talking about but it seemed like the road was pretty close to the water there- room for hotel rooms ?

Hope all is well- thanks for the reply!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: French Leave Beach Construction

All's well, thanx ... it is pretty close, but there seems to be enough room, they have what looks to be 3 buildings well along in construction over there. The developer is no fly-by-nighter, they have quite a crew and some impressive equipment at work over there.

It's gonna be interesting to see how it all comes together ... of course there's no beach there, but it looks like it would be a great spot for the sailboat folks, etc. ... and we can always use another good restaurant with a sunset view ... ;-) Let's hope it works out ...

mississippi
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: French Leave Beach Construction

We were at Lush Life on French Leave beach the end of May. There is no construction as of yet on the Atlantic side. We walked down to explore the old Club Med. it is a beautiful piece of property. I imagine it was quite the place in its day. We got so interested in it that we came back to the house, googled Club Med Eleuthera and relived all the sites when it was there.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: French Leave Beach Construction

August in Eleuthera is just beautiful. Lots of really wonderful fruit in season; be sure to try some coco plums right off the bush after a summer shower. Grab a handful of sweet guineps (pronounced Ka-Naps.) Don't miss out on the sugar apples, or the soursaps, sapodillys. It will be quiet and even more laid back than any other time of the year. The only drawback is that The Blue Room is closed all month long.

Enjoy!

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: French Leave Beach Construction

GLD, that was an awesome post! Keep em coming & more if you can! Cheers to you