We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat around Governors Harbour

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
821 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat around Governors Harbour

I have been looking at places to eat around Governors Harbour , I,am not looking for anything too fancy as this is a solo trip for me , but just places you can get good decent meals, Tippy's has a lot of negative reviews on Trip Advisor, seems a lot suggest it just for drinks and not for food or service. How is the Beach House , any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Don.

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat around Governors Harbour

I believe Tippy's may be hit or miss for service but the food has always been top notch when I've been there. Buccaneer club is a great place to eat there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat around Governors Harbour

Yes The Beach House Restaurant is very good - one of our favs. Plus it sits right on French Leave Beach. We have enjoyed the shrimp ap., artichoke dip (which is truly the best any where), homemade raviolis, lamb chops and on and on. Yes 'Snobbies' (Tippy's) can be hit or miss, but probably has the best Chef on the island at this time. Service can be a little stoic, though we have enjoyed many good lunches and dinner there. I would suggest Sumset Inn to see the sunset. Pammys for great takeaway. Please go find Governors Harbour Bakery (behind Burows grocery store), coconut danish, hot patties (conch, beef, chicken).

p.s. Check hours for The Beach House if your going for dinner - they are closed some nights.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 17:09
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
821 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat around Governors Harbour

Chicago Bear Thanks for that input, definitely will try The Beach House as it is very close to where I am staying. I will probably have too try Tippy's as it is also close by. Pammys sounds for great for lunch can you eat in or is it strictly take out ? GH Bakery will also be on my list. Matt and Jenny's ?

Don.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
821 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat around Governors Harbour

Hit or miss ! I will probably give it a try, it looks to be in a stunning location

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat around Governors Harbour

The Bistro at Sky Beach is also good. I'll second Bucaneer, Sunset and Tippy's. Also Banks Rd Deli. Haven't been to Beach House yet. Call before you go to some of these places as they don't serve food all day long.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
821 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to eat around Governors Harbour

Hey Tommyjohnson

thanks for that, seems a pity that a place in such a fabulous location would get so many dodgy reviews, but i will check it out just to satisfy my own curiosity

Cheers,

Don.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
821 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to eat around Governors Harbour

Hi Jungledriver,

Cheers for that I will check them all mind you I am the sort that if i find a decent place i will return several times, for me this trip is all about beaches , snorkelling , swimming , up early to get the most out of the day, probably eat dinner quite early

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to eat around Governors Harbour

Don,

I'm with you on the trip being more about the activities. We will kayak, swim, snorkel, scuba and explore most of our time. If I have a good day while I'm snorkeling I'll end up with a couple nice grouper with the pole spear for dinner. :)

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to eat around Governors Harbour

Don:

I agree with ChicagoBear and JungleDriver. Reviews of Tippy's are all over the board and have been since the day they opened. I think sometimes it's a question of expectations: Some folks go there expecting a Michelin 4-Star experience, some go there expecting an Applebee's or Outback Steakhouse experience, some folks go there expecting a grinning Caribbean minstrel show from the staff -- and they're bound to be disappointed, as it's way in between those extremes.

I live about 10 minutes from Tippy's and eat there regularly. The ambience is great and the food generally ranges from good to very good. The service can be slow if it's 7-9 p.m. on a Fri-Sat-Sun nite and the place is slammed -- but, hey, this is the Bahamas, and a rural Out-Island at that.

If I can fault them, it would be that sometimes they have a single waitress working the whole joint, and she's the hardest-working woman on the island. She may not grin and ask about your "chillin" or your hometown or your grandma ... but she's determined to do her best to get your plate in front of you in a timely fashion. Frankly, she's bustin' her butt ...

And, yes, the place is the most expensive south of Harbour Island, but the food generally stands up to that. It's not easy running a better restaurant in these islands, given cost and hassle of acquiring better ingredients, not to mention the *outrageous* utility bills a place like that faces.

If you're traveling solo and don't need a fancy candlelight dinner, you can cut your costs by ordering a drink and a made-from-scratch pizza, or a couple of appetizers. Especially the bruschetta. Give 'em a try.

In the GHB area I can also heartily endorse Sunset Inn and the Buccaneer for local food, and the Beach House as well as Tippy's for something a little different, once you've had your fill of fried grouper and fried conch and fried pork chops and peas'n'rice and cole slaw and mac'n'cheese. (All of which I love, but ...)

Pardon the wordiness, and bon appetit' ...

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to eat around Governors Harbour

Tommy, I love grouper too but they are just too darn cute for me to spear! Why don't you try spearing some lionfish instead? They are easy prey and good eating. You just have to be careful cleaning them.

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera