We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern end

New Jersey
Level Contributor
359 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Southern end

Well my count-down is officially under the 3-week mark and wanted ask some of you seasoned experts for some advice. We'll have almost 2 weeks to kill (woo-hoo!!) and i rarely venture much farther south than Palmetto Point... but wanted to know if anyone had any insight on the following "destinations" -

1. Cape Eleuthera - have heard the marina is closed down but also heard there is a "cut" where you can drift snorkle in the current. Is it worth the trip?

2. Blue hole in Rock Sound - again is it worth the trip from the north? or is one of those things thats fun for an hour? can you fish and snorkle in the blue hole?

3. Light house. I've read the forum and seen a lot of pictures ... again it is worth the drive?

4. Diving with Ocean fox ... same questions. Any scuba divers out there with first-hand experience with them?

It's not that i'm averse to driving but don't want to spend too much time in the car.

Thanks for any tips!!!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern end

yes, they are all worth seeing at least once. Lighthouse is a definite yes. Cape Eleuthera - not sure you can snorkel the cut anymore. I think they keep the gate closed but it is very pretty down that way. Rock Sound is a pretty settlement and once you're done with the Ocean Hole, have lunch at Rose's or visit any of the beaches there. Whiteland beach is also down that road. We didn't swim in the ocean hole, it's very murky. Tarpum Bay is also a very pretty settlement. It didn't work out on our last trip to dive with Al but I follow his Facebook posts and it looks like the diving is very worthwhile down there. They see sharks on almost every dive.

I'm the kind of person that likes to see as much as possible so I don't think a trip to Eleuthera would be complete if you didn't try and see the whole island.

New England
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern end

Lighthouse is definitely worth it - and if you make a long day of it you can stop by the Ocean hole for a quick visit (you only need 30 minutes to see it, head to Lighthouse beach for the bulk of the day and if you leave the beach early enough head over to Cape Eleuthera even just for a drive by.

Cape Eleuthera is worth stopping by if you are in the area, but personally I would never make that long drive just for that visit - Lighthouse Beach on the other hand is worth the drive.

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern end

Lighthouse is a must for us. We planned on spending 1/2 day there and will plan an entire day on our next trip. It was beautiful and only one other couple on the entire beach. Plan on having dinner at Rosies on your return trip. Great food, excellant prices and wonderful company.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern end

Our place is in Rainbow Bay so we don't go far south very often either. Two days ago we did one of the Eleuthera Tours which is based near Cape Eleuthera, and we had a great time diving for conch, snorkeling a reef and hand line fishing. We drove into the resort at Cape Eleuthera and it was the first time we had been there in 4-5 years. It looked about the same - very quiet but the gate was open, the little store was open and the marina was also open.

I would say that Cape Eleuthera and the Ocean Hole are worth a look if you are in the area, but not a special trip. Lighthouse Beach is the main reason to drive down there. We are certified divers but have not had any contact with Ocean Fox yet.

From our last trip south I remembered the settlements looking a little more bleak, and the area being flat with less vegetation. This time things looked more attractive, the vegetation had come back and the settlements looked nicer. Tarpum Bay in particular was very nice.

I'd suggest that you drive to Lighthouse Beach and do some side trips. It really isn't that long a drive.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
359 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern end

thx for the feed-back all. The last few times, Lighthouse was on the "to do" list and somehow we seemed to fall into the island rhythm and never made it down there. This time, though it is "definitely" on the to do list again ;) Maybe getup early one day, stop half-way for breakfast and continue on down. And also, having lived vicariously through all your Trip reports the last few months, this time I'm gonna write a TR when i get home, i promise

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern end

Hey, jerseydiver ... as you're gonna be here a couple of weeks, you might consider overnighting in the south to do some of the stuff on your list. There are some small, non-fancy digs available around Rock Sound/Tarpum Bay that would be cheap and comfortable for an overnight.

That way you could do Lighthouse Beach one day and a dive with Ocean Fox another day, and avoid making two trips all the way down there. Heck, saving on the gas you'd burn would pay for a good bit of a one-night hotel stay ... ;-)

For what it's worth ... hope you have a great time.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
359 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southern end

great idea Dave, thanks. would that be something to research in advance (do you know any names of places to overnight?)

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southern end

You could try Ingraham's Beach Inn at Tarpum Bay, or Rosies Nort'side at Rock Sound ... although I think she charges a bit more for one-night stays, which is understandable. If you stay there, be sure to do lunch or dinner, she's a great cook and a terrific conversationalist.

www.northsideinneleuthera.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southern end

JD I would suggest The Northside Inn (Rosies) in Rock Sound For a one nighter. She has 3 cottages up on the bluff - great view. They are small, but very clean, and very well kept. The price is $110 nt., which includes the hotel tax. That is going to be our HQ to explore more of the south next trip down in a few weeks.

Ingrams was closed last time we stopped by, but they may be open again.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 14:52
New Jersey
Level Contributor
359 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southern end

Cb did u say a few weeks? How bout meeting up for a rum bubba at da fish fry ?