We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

New Jersey
Level Contributor
347 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

August 21-31, 2013. Had another awesome trip to Eleuthera. Apologies for the lack of details & dates but i quickly fell into island time and didnt keep any real notes per se, this is more of a memory dump than a detailed trip report.

After getting stranded inexplicably in Ft Lauderdale by Silver Airways (they said they had no crew to fly the plane and after boarding, they then had all passengers de-board (if that's a word) and sit in the terminal for 2 hours waiting for crew... Finally arrived at ELH and picked up rental Ford Explorer which was waiting as promised by McClain Pinder, keys in car, great AC, very nice rental by island standards. Went to Burchie's aka North Eleuthera Shopping center for groceries. Picked up some rum in Gregory Town at Mr. Bones liquor store ... Unpacked, unloaded the snorkle gear and put the fishing poles together. Went for a snorkle. Stayed at the CayHouse on Gaulding Cay beach. Beautiful house on a beautiful location directly overlooking a small island "cay" which is perfect for snorkeling, shelling, or lounging on the beach. Highly recommend it.

Although not unexpected, alot of our favorite restaurants were closed for the season. Rainbow Inn, Laughing Lizard, and The Beach House in Governor's were all closed for the season. We did however spend one day at Tippy's and the beautiful beach there. Had a delicious pizza at Tippy's and spend the afternoon at the beach and snorkeled the reefs there.

Some restaurants that were open: pleasant surprise - The Bottom Harbour Beach Club was open most times we visited. Had lunch (great conch fritters and cracked lobster) and also live music on Sundays at 2pm. Leon (owner) is a class act, great gentleman to chat with and spend the day. He pointed out some bonefishing spots too. Sat on the dock and watched some little turtles swim past each time we visited.

Daddy Joe's - was open every day except wednesdays. The owner Tiffany is nice to chat with. Ate there a few times and had take-out also. Great chicken wings, mac-n-cheese, peas and rice and other Bahamian favorites. Saw Spyder and Da Boyz perform there on sunday night. Great place to meet some locals.

Went on a dive with Ocean Fox out of Davis Harbour Marina. Great dive operation. Al (the captain) and Darryl (the divemaster) ran a great trip. Did a wall dive and a "boiling hole" reef dive. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the live coral and fish on the deep dive, compared to many other Caribbean destinations i have been noticing a decline in reef health, the southern Eleuthera reefs appear to be thriving.

After the dive, I stopped at the bakery in Goveror's for cinnamon rolls and meat pies. And some cheese danish. Yummy!!!! Also had a conch burger at Pammy's in GH. Anyone watch Food Network ? there's a show called "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" ... 'nuff said.

Went over to Harbor Island and rented a golf cart with the family, did some sight seeing. Alot of the restaurants were closed. Got some yummy conch salad at Queen Conch. Kids bought souvenirs. Did the obligatory stroll on Pink sand beach, to be honest i think the beaches on Eleuthera are just as nice. Pink sand beach reminds me of French Leave but a bit more exclusive.

We did a whole lot of snorkeling including one of the best trips i would highly recommend to anyone interested in seeing Current Cut. We met up with a local guy who lives in Lower Bogue named Foster Neilly. I found him through another TA member. I posted his info under Current Cut (he said he wouldn't mind me posting his phone number) ... anyhow Foster took us all (including my wife and 2 teen age boys) snorkelling Current Cut and the reefs on the Atlantic side of the cut using his small boat An awesome day and one of the kid's highlights of the trip.

One day it was raining so hard we couldnt think of anything to do and didnt want to sit around the house, so we went into Hatchet Bay caves the deepest we have ever gone. I brought a few diving flashlights from home (wouldnt advise doing this without backup lights) ... anyway went in about 300-400 yards (there is not a string tied pretty securely that you can follow back out. The further you go in, the less grafiti.

Out of curiosity one day had lunch at the new Cove. They do allow you to eat there if you are not staying on the resort. Last time i ate there was the prior ownership, i used to love the cracked conch burger on the lunch menu which sadly is no longer offered. The lunch menu now is somewhat different, more "upscale". I had fish tacos which were ok, the only other lunch worth noting was the pulled pork which was tasty. The place has been transformed (and still under construction) to a very fancy resort with manicured gardens and concierge service. Not my idea of an Eleuthera experience, but "to each his own" i guess...

Other than that I cant think of any more to write about now. We spent a lot of time walking around settlements of Gregory Town, Hatchet Bay, JC, Bogue, Current, and Governors. Picked up every hitch hiker we came across in 10 days and got to know some real quality local folks.

Only regret: did not make the journey to Lighthouse Beach. The 10 days flew by so fast, by the end we did not want to spend a whole day in the car and instead opted for the last couple of "do nothing" beach days.

Before i knew it, we were on a plane headed home and already planning the next trip.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 22:58
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
901 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Awesome report! I saved it in my Eleuthera folder! Thank you!!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
706 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Hey JD

Great report, sort of takes me back there, but no Lighthouse ? Maybe next time ! How was the weather while you where there

New Jersey
Level Contributor
347 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

thanks Don. except for one rainy day the weather was great. and yes, Lighthouse next time for sure.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Great report - sounds like you had a great time being on island time! The snorkeling sounds great, so does the diving - what's a "boiling hole" ...? Thanks for posting!

new jersey
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

glad to hear that another fellow New Jersian loves Eleuthera as much as we do. Trip # 10 coming up next April! I'm sorry to hear that Silver had problems already. Sure hope that this was the exception rather than the norm! thanks for the report!

Sally

Crestview, Florida
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

How do you make an Eleuthera folder? on Trip Advisor?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Hi Debra - Yes, right on Trip Advisor, it's quite handy :)

If you go to the top of the page, put your cursor where it says 'your trip advisor' and then choose 'saved trips' you'll go to another screen where you can create folders.

OR if you move your cursor to the top right of the box that contains your most recent post (post #6 on this thread) or actually the top right of ANY of the posts on this thread, a green button will show up that says 'Save this Post' - click that, then you can save it in a folder you create now, or that you already have.

Hope this works for you!

Edited: 25 September 2013, 20:48
8. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera