We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Temp in May

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
768 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Water Temp in May

Just wondering is there a big difference in August Water temps compared to May Water Temps

Cheers

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Temp in May

I've found, during my six early May visits to Paradise Island, that the surf temperature has always been around 80F or a few degrees above that. It was rarely, if ever in the 70's F. I would guess from the websites with surf temperatures in the past that sea temperatures rise somewhere into the mid to upper 80's F every summer including the month of August. So, if you want really warm surf water, visit in August.

savannah sound
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Temp in May

Average water temp in April is75-76...warming in May to 77-78. In Aug the temp is low to mid 80's, average 83 and then cooling to high 70's by end of October. Today, here at the cave, on the Atlantic side it was 82.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Temp in May

Always feels the same to me.. warm enough to swim in!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
768 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Temp in May

I have an opportunity to return to Eleuthera in May or August and am trying to decide which is best, I just returned from my first trip mid Aug and weather and water temps were fabulous although i think i looked out with no rain for my visit. So August or May ???

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Temp in May

Rain is more probable in August than early May as the rainy season begins around May 22 and runs through the end of October. I visited Paradise Island in early May six times on one week visits and it rained only on a few days, less than 3, and then only for a few minutes.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Temp in May

I would have to agree with tiger (hi tiger) May is wonderful weather having experienced it myself. So, May gets my vote. Cheers

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Temp in May

DonK,

All that was said above is good, however, the air temp in May is usually a bit more comfortable and there is usually a better breeze off the Atlantic in May than in Aug.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Temp in May

DonK -- also keep in mind that this past August was a tad cooler than normal, with more breeze and less rain than usual. Also, not a single major storm. I've seen many other Augusts that were *far* less comfortable. Something to consider. My two favorite months on the island are May and November.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
768 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Temp in May

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that I kind of thought that this August was not the norm , but it was great lovely warm water and blue sky's , I might just pick May its the water temp thats holding me back I like it to be at least 80F but i suppose 78F would be alright , it's great to be able to just drift along in the warm water.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,548 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water Temp in May

Hi Don, when we went to the Abacos (a bit further north than Eleuthera) in late May we used our wetsuits for extended snorkeling (half or full day snorkeling from a boat). Just swimming from the beach, we did not use them and were fine. I think for just regular snorkeling and swimming, May should be fine.

We like the water warm as well. This is our rule of thumb for all of the Bahamas year-round: if you go on a tour for extended snorkeling or scuba diving you will want at least a shorty wetsuit.