We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Palmetto Pond

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
North Palmetto Pond

Hi TripAdvisor friends!

Looking to return to Eleuthera in late November for a few nights with just the hubby. We loved Palisades when we stayed in April/May with our kids but it's just too big/expensive for this short trip. We really liked North Palmetto Point for home base but are wondering about the properties that seem to back onto a large pond. Does it get stinky? Are the bugs bad there? Looking for your thoughts or experiences with staying near it.

Thanks!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: North Palmetto Pond

The bugs are bad everywhere on this island!! The pond near Unique Village doesn't stink, but the one near The Green Thumb Nursery stinks during the summer.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Palmetto Pond

Tanya's right ... although both the bugs and any smell from the ponds are likely to be far less a problem in late November. It's cooler and breezier than mid-summer, makes a big difference.

savannah sound
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: North Palmetto Pond

Stinky?...sometimes Buggy?...sometimes

To avoid/minimize the problem rent a place on the water/beach on the Atlantic side. The breezes blow in from offshore and blow the bugs & the stink into the bush. NPP & Double Bay are good choices in November

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: North Palmetto Pond

Thanks everyone! Never had a single bug bite last April/May. Either that our my tough Ontario, Canada skin doesn't notice them! ;)

Definitely interested in Atlantic side - love the crashing waves! Just can't find a spot small enough for the two of us (without being a studio set up), close to Tippys and with Internet that is on the Atlantic side. Any suggestions?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
615 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Palmetto Pond

What about Off The Reef? It's on the Atlantic side, and is a one bedroom. It's nothing fancy, but I've stayed there and it's comfortable. It's in NPP, not sure if it's close enough to Tippy's for you though.

Vermont, USA
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Palmetto Pond

Some friends of ours stayed at Turtle Cottage recently. It's very nice and located between the NPP settlement and Tippy's.

Westfield...
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Palmetto Pond

Try "Off the Reef" in NPP on Banks road. We stayed there 2 years in a row for 3 weeks and loved it. It was perfect for just the two of us.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: North Palmetto Pond

Thanks all, I will check them out!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
709 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Palmetto Pond

Hi JayAreTee,

Check out The Round House on Casuarina Bay, perfect for a couple, a unique style caribbean cottage with free wifi in a fantastic location French Leave beach 5min walk , Twin Coves 10min walk, Tippys 10 min drive. Its on the Atlantic side and i just returned from my first visit to Eleuthera and stayed at the Round House and no bug bites .

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Palmetto Pond

I have to agree with Dave & Tanya, we stayed down that way in April one year & the smell (not every day but when the wind was "just right") was a bit much. It didn't bother me so much but the BF was, let's say, put off by it. Rotten egg/sulfur smell, not pleasant. I would look for somewhere away from that pond. Just sayin'.