We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather Forecast Reliability?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Weather Forecast Reliability?

Hi All - my husband and I have been lurking the forums for the past several months in preparation for our trip this month. We're now a mere 5 days away (!!!) and have been watching the weather forecasts for an idea of what to expect. So far, if the forecasts I have been finding are to be believed, we are going to get rain and thunderstorms the whole time.

We knew to expect some rain due to our season - but when the forecast says 60% chace of rain for a day, does that mean it's going to rain that whole day? Or, is it just that there's a 60% chance of a rainstorm at some point that day? Trying to keep positive about our chances for some sunshine. Should I pack my rainboots instead of flip flops?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather Forecast Reliability?

Our first trip to Eleuthera the forecast was 30% -60% chance of thunderstorms for the first 5 days. It was sunny with not one drop of rain. On all our other trips we have experienced only partial rain days - never a whole day of straight rain. I'm sure you will be fine. One plus if a shower does roll through is the rainbows. We have seen more rainbows on Eleuthera than any place else.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather Forecast Reliability?

Thank you! That's VERY encouraging! I really don't mind if we get a shower or two - I've seen some beautiful pictures of what they can look like over there. And I hadn't even thought about the rainbows! Thank you for responding! I'm feeling a lot better. :)

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather Forecast Reliability?

You will not have an all day rain event unless there is a weather system moving through. I used intellicast.com on our last trip which was when Chantal came through and it was very realiable. Just look at the satellite image for the caribbean and zoom in on Eleuthera and you can see what's coming your way. Don't even bother with weather.com forecasts.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather Forecast Reliability?

Thanks jungledriver - I really should just stop looking at anything other than storm tracking stuff - it's really been bumming me out to see all those little pictures of rain and thunderstorms showing up on my phone's weather app. I hadn't looked at the intellicast website before - that looks very helpful! I'm glad that I checked in here because it's made me feel much better about our chances for sunny days. :) Thanks guys!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather Forecast Reliability?

You Portland folks sure are nervous about clouds and rain ... had enuff o' that, eh? ... ;-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather Forecast Reliability?

Hey now, Dave- I'll have you know that, in spite of what you may have heard, Portland has no more rain than... you know what, never mind, it does rain a lot here! It's sprinkling right now, in fact...

Edited: 16 September 2013, 22:08
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather Forecast Reliability?

BIlly, this is probably going to annoy you but that episode of Portlandia where they were all huddling together under one patch of sunlight was hilarious! (Season 3, episode 1)

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather Forecast Reliability?

I saw that episode ... hilarious!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather Forecast Reliability?

Portlandia is pretty accurate about many things. More than some people around here would like to admit :)

About the sunshine though - I think because we live for so many months without it we really, really appreciate it when we've got it. Man, there is nothing like the first warm, sunny day after the long, long rainy months. Makes it all worth it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather Forecast Reliability?

You should see this place on the first sunny day of spring- the streets are filled with giddy, pasty people.