We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about the Blue Palms Vacation Rental

Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about the Blue Palms Vacation Rental

My husband and I are planning to travel to the Bahamas this spring. We are thinking of renting the Blue Palms in North Palmetto Point. Can anyone tell me if there is Wifi at this house, and if not, where can we find it on the island. We are thinking of going the end of April or the end of May. Is there much difference in the weather over these two months, and if so which one is better. What about February? And the last question is about mosquitoes. I'm a mosquito magnet, but didn't have many bites where we were in Moorea because we kept the coils burning while at the house, and use a local bug repellant when we were off the property. It was called Heiva Stop Insectes, but I can't find in on the internet to buy more. Is there a local repellant that works in Eleuthera and if not, what have others found that works?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about the Blue Palms Vacation Rental

We have not stayed at Blue Palms, although we have stayed in North Palmetto Point several times, and love that part of the island The beaches are beautiful all along that stretch. You can walk south all the way through Double Bay to the point that is the Atlantic ocean entrance to Savannah Sound north bay. Then you can walk north up to Unique Village beach, and perhaps farther. The point at Unique Village beach can be walked around only at low tide.

As for bugs the island expert is Windsordave. There are very few mosquitoes on Eleuthera - it is the Sand Flies (aka. No See Ums) that are the real buggers. They may be around, and other times they are not. Just type in the forum search bar 'No See Ums' for information.

I would e-mail the owners about wi-fi. bluepalms1@hotmail.com

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about the Blue Palms Vacation Rental

February can be a little cool, but April and May are ideal and the water will have warmed up.

Several restaurants around Governor's Harbour have free wifi, or you can use a computer with internet in the library.

AS CB said mosquitoes are seldom a problem as they breed in standing fresh water and there is usually not much of that around on Eleuthera. Use DEET from your knees down for sand flies until you have an idea how bad they are during your visit and how much you react to the bites.

France
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about the Blue Palms Vacation Rental

Skin so soft from Avon works well for sand fleas. My neighbour would get eaten alive by them. He wanted to sell his place because of them. I gave him the skin so soft and he was in heaven. I don't know if it's because of the oil in it or not, if so baby oil would also work. As for the Mosquitos it depends on the rain fall. A lot of rain a lot of them. I was on the island after it had rained for 3 days in a row and I have never seen soooooo many. You could not go outside without getting eaten alive! That is not the norm. You should be fine.

Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about the Blue Palms Vacation Rental

Thanks for your replies. The owner says there is wifi at the house. Yeah! We have decided on late April, and I'll get some Skin So Soft from my friend/Avon Rep. Can any one recommend a place to rent snorkeling gear or should I bring my own. We like to travel light with just carry ons, so if I can can rent while we are there it's easier. We are scuba certified. Any recommendations for diving while we are there?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about the Blue Palms Vacation Rental

bring your own gear. Alot of the house rentals have used gear you can use but being a diver you should know what that entails. We can fit our snorkel gear in a back pack that we carry-on with no problems. I have not been with him yet but Al Curry from Ocean Fox Cotton Bay is a really nice guy. He posts alot of pics from his dives with visitors and it looks like some very worthwhile stuff.

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about the Blue Palms Vacation Rental

We stayed in Blue Palms in early Feb 2009. Great home for the price and still stay in contact w/owners. Owner and housekeeper/caretaker are wonderful. Pool, home, beach and snorkeling was fantastic frt off ths beach ( N.Palmetto). Weather in early Feb was warm when we were there. There was rain 1 night and then it was ok the rest of the week.

In 2009, there was no Wifi at Blue Palms - maybe things have changed now. We were eaten alive during our stay. Previous stay in winter of 2004 in another home in N. Palmetto also had same experience with those voracious noseeums. Everyone says it is better on the Atlantic side when it comes to getting less noseeums. We had a different experience. When we stayed in home on the Caribbean side this past Feb, we did NOT get any bites and we were even brave enough to walk on the beach at sunset and evening! The biggest shocker was that we did NOT use deet or any repellents at all! Lucky I guess. ( And it did rained 24/7 one full day!)

Nothing seemed to work for us when we were in Blue Palms. Just wear long pants and cover up esp legs if you go out at dusk /evening. But even with the noseeum attacks, we braved it and went back this past Feb and even tried the Caribbean side because we love Eleuthera that much!

The owners have told me that since our '09 stay, they've put in noseeum screens. Maybe this helps.

All the other TAs and threads offer great advice about tackling this noseeum issue. We've done it all and tried it all and carry more items to ward off noseeums than anything else in our suitcases. Get the items in US and carry with you...............easier than to have to find it and buy it in Eleuthera.

Some TAs suggested that with each subsequent visit you get less bites This seems to be the case for us. (First 2 trips eaten alive when we stayed on N. Palmetto Pt & this 3rd trip we got nothing even w/o any repellents and stayed on the Caribbean side ( which has less wind ). So if this it true, we all have to just keep returning to Eleuthera......................Not a bad remedy!

You'll love Blue Palms and have a grand time!

Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about the Blue Palms Vacation Rental

Thanks for the posts. Sounds like the noseeums could be a hit or miss, but we should come prepared.

8. Re: Questions about the Blue Palms Vacation Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera