We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

layover time in Nassau airport

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
layover time in Nassau airport

I keep seeing on this forum that you need 3 hours layover time from GHB airport to flight time out of NAS. But If I go to Bahama's Air they have a flight that leaves GHB at 4:50, lands in NAS at 5:20 and then connects at to a departing FLL flight at 7:00. This leaves only 1 hour and 40 minutes to make this flight. Is this enough time or not? I'm asking mostly to find out not if this actual flight will work but if other flights will work in this time frame. Thoughts?

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: layover time in Nassau airport

OK … your biggest hurdle will be clearing US Customs and Immigration after you check in and clear security. I am unfamiliar with how busy the airport is at that hour of the day -- when heading back to the US, I'm usually going through there late morning or early afternoon. But I don't imagine there are all that many flights leaving for the US at 7 p.m.

If you don't run into much of a delay at security and the US clearance checkpoint, you should be all right. Three hours is recommended, I know, but I think that is excessive and I've never, on my worst day, needed a 3-hour gap between arrival in NAS and departure for the U.S. In most cases an hour and a half is enough.

Dunno if that helps, but it's based on what I know from years of experience of making those connections ...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: layover time in Nassau airport

thanks so much. I have another question for you since you are so knowledgeable, do you know if there is any Ferry service on xmas day from NAS to GHB? The ferry website is not showing anything yet past Dec 19.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: layover time in Nassau airport

I don't know ... but I wouldn't rely on it. The ferries are great in some respects, but they're not always the best or even the most cost-efficient choice for inter-island travel for tourists.

N. Illinois
Level Contributor
114 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: layover time in Nassau airport

so daveaddis, due to two changes since we booked our flight, our layover time going home will be 2 hrs and 3 minutes. So you're saying I shouldn't sweat it too much? I would hate to have to stay in paradise for an extra night.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: layover time in Nassau airport

i will let you know how it goes for us. we fly out of NAS soon. Our layover is so long though, we're going to take a cab to the Humane Society in between flights

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: layover time in Nassau airport

@pretzelport: You *should* be OK with a 2-hour interval. But as we all know all too well these days, nothing that involves air travel comes with any guarantees.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 13:35
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: layover time in Nassau airport

We just flew back on Monday. There were practically no lines to check in, get through security and absolutely no lines to get through customs. The walk is pretty short from the new domestic terminal to the US terminal. In the new domestic terminal where you'll land from Eleuthera, once you get your bags from the carousel head out the door and you'll see a Wendy's. Take a left and head all the way down. You'll see a sign for international flights but that's for flights to anywhere but the US. Leave the domestic terminal and walk left towards the US terminal. From here you check in, check bags, get boarding passes then walk all the way to the left again to get in line for security and make sure your customs form is filled out and signed. There will be someone there checking boarding passes and passports, then get in line for security. once through, you get in line for US customs. Then upstairs/escalator to the US terminal.

It's very surreal how much the airport has changed since our first visit in 2008.

8. Re: layover time in Nassau airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera