We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Eleuthera or GHB?

NY,NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
North Eleuthera or GHB?

So, yet another flight query that I'm hoping someone might have some thoughts on:

I'm trying to get my family down to Governor's Harbour at the end of March and would like to go through a Silver connection in Florida. At the moment flights from Newark into GHB connecting in Fort Lauderdale are almost $1300(!) but flights through Palm Beach into North Eleuthera are $800. What's the deal with that? I understand that there's maybe more demand for one airport or the other but a $500 difference, really? For a family of four that's $2000 more to fly into Governor's Harbour instead of North Eleuthera!

I'll happily take a cab or get my rental car in North Eleuthera and drive down, or more likely with these prices go through Nassau. Just wondering if anyone knows the skinny on these flights and why they are so much different. And for that matter why they're so expensive.

Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: North Eleuthera or GHB?

Take a look at Expedia.com

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Eleuthera or GHB?

I don't think it's anything to do with the airports, but the airline who operates that route. They have a monopoly on the route, and therefore, the price too. It's a consumer thing -- if you're willing to pay ....

For what it's worth, flying into North Eleuthera or Governors Harbour is about the same. They are roughly 35 miles apart on an easily driven road. Renting a car at one and dropping it off at the other for a small fee is often and easily done.

So go with the price/schedule that best suits your plans and enjoy Eleuthera!

Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Eleuthera or GHB?

That's what I found when traveling to Eleu in June of this year. We ended up renting our car at North Eleu and driving the distance - worth it when saving hundreds of dollars per person! And the added benefit: passing thru lots of the island and of course the Glass Window gave our newbie friends a taste of what was in store in the week ahead. Think of it as an added adventure!

(we even considered wearing our swimsuits under our clothes for a quick dip on the way, but instead a cold Kalik direct from the shop across from the airport, and then we were anxious to get to our rental home and NEST!)

Also, by doing this we got to arrive at 1 PM instead of 4:30 - big diff in daylight time.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North Eleuthera or GHB?

The US airlines (American and United/Silver) seem to be focused on ELH because of the proximity to Harbour Island. When HI closes down in the late summer they completely stop flying to Eleuthera. GHB mostly services the smaller airlines (BahamasAir, Pineapple, Southern) that fly smaller planes out of NAS, and provide service to Bahamians and some tourists.

American stopped flying into GHB a few years ago and I suspect that Silver would also prefer to just deal with the high end HI market through ELH.

NY,NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Eleuthera or GHB?

Yes, that makes sense, Windsor Dave. What's your sense that the majority of second home owners and vacationers in the GHB area do? Are most of them coming through Nassau all the time? I've had a number of bad experiences going through Nassau and it used to be an almost comparable price to go through Florida so have chosen to do that in the past. However, it's been a number of years since I've been down. Is there a feeling that the terminal upgrades in Nassau have made things any easier?

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Eleuthera or GHB?

Yes, many of us who own homes in the Governor's-Palmetto Point area, and farther south, come in through Nassau. We've never had a problem with it. It is getting harder and harder to get directly into GHB out of Florida, and *way* expensive. Back in the day, both USAir and later American flew in, but as we know those options are gone. Lynx and Twin Air both went belly-up, so the ungawdly expensive Silver flights are about the only other option.

Personally, we've been transiting through Nassau 3-4 times a year ever since USAir gave up the route some years ago. Never really had a problem. The cramped communter planes are about the only real inconvenience now that the new terminals are open, but, hey, it's only a 20-minute flight. And clearing US Customs/Immigration in Nassau on the way back is a bonus -- much faster/easier than clearing in FLL or MIA.

NY,NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Eleuthera or GHB?

Thanks, that answers the questions! Nassau it is.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: North Eleuthera or GHB?

Dave has done a great job covering all the advantages of going through Nassau. My feeling is that whichever of the 3 airports with flights into Eleuthera (Nassau, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and I think Silver just added another Florida departure location) you can get to the easiest with the fewest stops, early in the day, and the cheapest from the airport that you normally fly out of - that should be your choice. The best choice varies a bit depending on where you live. We can fly to ELH on American with just one stop in Miami, at a good price, and we can get to Miami early enough in the day to catch the ELH flight. American has larger/newer/ faster jets and they have been very reliable for us. Going through Nassau or Ft. Lauderdale means 2 stops and sometimes even an overnight for us, so American works much better for us. The only real downside is Immigration back in Miami is not fun, but on the way there Immigration at ELH is much easier than Nassau.

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Eleuthera or GHB?

We live in NYC and we take winter vacations ( usually Feb ). & like you have options to fly out of NY- JFK or NJ Newark. Been to Eleuthera 3times and tried diff flights to GHB or N.Eleuthera. ( American thru Miami or United thru Ft Lauderdale).

Flew into N.Eleuthera from JFK - end of Feb/ret March and had good rate - think it was about $500 on American. and our relatives fflew out of Newark to N.Eleuthera and got lower price thru United.. We booked around Sept/Oct. But relatives booked in NOV ( around Thanksgiving) .

We've also flew out of NJ to GHB and had decent rates in prior yr. We either book early ( 4 -5 mos prior or around the HOLIDAYS ( thanksgiving ) for Feb flights.

We've found that on Expedia and other such sights, flights are CHEAPEST ON A HOLIDAY or the early morning of the holiday (eg. book at 2am ) and rates are lowest. Then if you DONT book when you log in and try again in 5mins THE PRICEST GO SKY HIGH RT AFTERWARDS!!! So be prepared to book or have someone else log on elsewhere and book flight for you to get the low rate.

So check Expedia etc or airlines directly ON A HOLIDAY or very early morning hrs of holiday.........for low rates.

GOOD LUCK!

NY,NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Eleuthera or GHB?

Hey RH12571,

Good advice. Yes, I'm in NYC too and it's frustrating that with so many options out of the Tri-State area the prices seem so skewed at the moment. I'm looking at the end of March which I understand is the height of the winter/Spring season. I've been looking since August pretty regularly and the best I've seen is around $950 into ELH and that's making compromising with inconvenient times. To do it the easiest route (United into GHB) it's been consistently above $1200 since the end of summer. I keep thinking it will go down, but now I'm starting to think otherwise.

I will try this week on Thursday and see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up.

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera