We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it quiet or just certain areas?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Is it quiet or just certain areas?

We were in Exuma and it was beautiful and quiet, very few cars on the road, empty beaches, basically no crime, just wonderful..is Eleu similar or is it busier? We are not interested in going for partying or bars, just secluded beaches, good home cooked food, maybe rent a boat (if there is golfing we'd likely go once or maybe twice) .. We definitely want to go back to the out islands as the water was amazing.. thanks for any input :)

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it quiet or just certain areas?

Eleuthera is not as busy as Exuma, neither are really, but I think less tourists than G Exuma. We've been to Eleuthera 3 times and G Exuma once. No boat rental really to speak of in Eleuthera, definitely safe, no golf. The water color is not the same but wonderful with many different shades of blue, green, turq and so many stars at night!! Fish Fry in Governor's Harbour on Friday night and many takeaways and great restaurants. You won't be disappointed.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it quiet or just certain areas?

Possibly consider Treasure Cay, Abaco for the availability of golf, gorgeous beach and water, and availability of rental boats or ferry to Green Turtle for sightseeing:

myoutislands.com/natural-vacations/golf.cfm

www.abacoforum.com

www.abacoindex.com

for helpful research info to see if it would be a "good fit" for what you want.

IF Exuma was not your first look at the out islands and the Abacos are not as remote as you like, look at Long Island but no golf and limited, if possible, boating on your own.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it quiet or just certain areas?

I'm soooo glad that my favorite islands in the Bahamas have not been mentioned in this thread and are a very well kept SECRET!!!

:----))))

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it quiet or just certain areas?

no golf there, papa- lol- your secrets are safe with me.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it quiet or just certain areas?

thanks everyone, i will start checking out the above referrals,definitely Abaco sounds good, thank you all... lol, come on Papa.. give up the goods! help a poor cold couple from Canada find paradise :) we just got back from Exuma, were over the whole island and loved it..then stupidly went back to FL for our final week (ugh!) the rat race there just intensified our need to either go back to Exuma or another of the Out Islands <3

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it quiet or just certain areas?

Eleuthera is for beaches. Miles and miles and miles of them. Big waves, calm waters, anything you like. Wind out of the east making the water choppy? Drive 2 miles across the island to the calm "Caribbean" side. Not much boating, some really good food, but the settlements are spread further apart than in Exuma, so there is a bit more driving required. More sparsely populated than Exuma. I love them both, for different reasons. It seems like the locals were a bit more friendly in Eleuthera, I have been told that the Sandals (previously Four Seasons) resort in Exuma has changed the pace of the island a bit.

toronto
Level Contributor
380 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it quiet or just certain areas?

We have not been to Exuma so I cannot comment on that island. We have been going to Eleuthera since 1979 and leave tomorrow for that wonderful place. Cheers Dan

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it quiet or just certain areas?

Not as quiet , or as safe, as it was, because there are packs of barking semi-wild dogs, at least in the area where we stay.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it quiet or just certain areas?

sounds like a dream if it is more quiet than Exuma, other than the dogs? where are they or what area do you recommend staying away from? you are so lucky flynnsky, enjoy your trip!!

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it quiet or just certain areas?

I have not seen packs of semi-wild, aggressive dogs anywhere on the island. Some of the settlements have dogs that are allowed to run free, but these potcakes tend to be timid and gentle. If you get away from the settlements where most of the rentals and nice beaches are you rarely see dogs at all, as the food that they are looking for is in the settlements.

There are two well publicized dog attacks that I know of in recent years. Neither involved potcakes and in both cases the dogs were owned by non-Bahamians. The most aggression that I have seen from potcakes is chasing a car or bicycle. Safety is not an issue.

I sometimes get questions from people renting our place about local potcakes, but these questions are always about the possibility of adopting them and not concerns about aggressive dogs. It is fairly common for tourists to adopt potcakes and take them home as they are really nice dogs.

What area were you in NervousNerd?

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera