We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Produce Stands Near GH

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Produce Stands Near GH

Does anyone know if Island Farms and Breezy Hill’s Dis N Dat Fruit Mart are still operational? I found them listed on an older website as good places to buy fresh fruit and veggies on the island.

Thanks!

Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Produce Stands Near GH

We were just there, and had a hard time finding fresh fruits and veggies. We wanted pineapple, but pineapples aren't in season until later this month. The grocery store right in the middle of town, with the gas station, had the best selection, and even got papayas in one day, but we didn't get there early enough and they sold out. Island Farms was open, and they had some veggies. Millards had Soursops, a caribbean fruit, which I'd never had before. Very interesting. : )

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Produce Stands Near GH

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry to hear Island Farms didn't have a lot. When you say the store in town, is it the one behind the Shell station?

Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Produce Stands Near GH

Yeah, the Shell station. It had the best selection for everything we needed. But Island Farms will probably have more when you get there. The other one you mentioned I didn't see, but we didn't look for it either. Maybe someone else knows about that one?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Produce Stands Near GH

Dis N Dat is on Queens Highway between Palmetto Point and Savannah Sound (a little closer to SS on the north side of the hwy.). Good selection of fresh veg. And some fruits. They had some oranges with a sweet sour flavour - great for dressings.

There is a great gift shop on the same side of the road, and maybe 2 miles outside of SS. Mavis has hand made purses. My wife loved the unique styles. Her work is very professional - all the lady's should stop and have a look. Mavis is another great Bahamian. Her shop is very tiny, colorful, and stands alone. If you drive by you may see Mavis working in the garden around the shop.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 16:23
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,548 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Produce Stands Near GH

There is a lady in the settlement of James Cistern that has a small fruit stand. Also Hearty Mow near Hatchet Bay but I don't know what is ready this time of year.

savannah sound
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Produce Stands Near GH

Another of *Hermit's Hopefully Helpful Hints*...

... for all of you from the Land of Plenty who buy your produce from chilled & watered display cases in air conditioned supermarkets.

If you buy leafy produce at a growers stand it may look a little tired. Take it home, fill a sink with water, soak the stuff for a minute or so, swish it around, shake off the water and put it in a plastic bag. It'll perk right up by dinner time tomorrow.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Produce Stands Near GH

DH, great "helpful hint"! I do that in the land of plenty where the produce can also look a bit wilty/tired at times. No reason not to do the same there but, just because people are on vacation they seem to miss this. I usually like to wrap it in a paper towel to soak up the excess water that doesn't get shook off good enough, making sure the paper towel is completely damp. For a grumpy cave dweller you offer a wealth of great info! XO

Flic En Flac
Level Contributor
246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Produce Stands Near GH

Better yet, simply find a rental with a garbage disposal in the shower- problem solved and water is conserved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaudUAHZinw

Edited: 08 May 2014, 02:01
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Produce Stands Near GH

I'm with you sas58. Rinse and paper towel and it'll be good as new tomorrow. : )

Thanks DH. I'm thinking sas58 has you pegged right with "Dear Heart".

Thanks to all the feedback. We can't wait to get on the island!

10. Re: Produce Stands Near GH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:17